• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AquaControllers for Dummies

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, you can program the ACJR with the PC. I couldn't imagine trying to program it on the little display on the AC. Plus you can keep a graph running showing you're PH and Heat changes. I never knew how the heat changed in my tank when I wasn't home till I read the graph. It fluctuate 5 degrees during the day. I picked up a chiller and it only changes 1 degree at most, and my heater and chiller hardly run. My SPS's are doing 100 percent better.

Brian,

Did you get the isolator for the serial cable? You might notice a jump in your ph when the cable is connected. This is a sign of a ground loop problem.

If you download the aquanotes lite you can edit the program on the PC. It's a good idea to save the program on the PC in case you wipe things out, like I did the other day when I got curious about the init memory button!

If you need any help let me know, I can stop by sometime this week.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No, I didn't get the isolater cable.. Didn't know I needed that! Is that something I can buy locally or do I need to order it online?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
can you believe i still didnt get mine all the way working, when i plugged the 2 250 mh and a 300 watt heater it just shuts off. could that be because my electric is 100 Amps. do you guys plug everything into this thing?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think 100 amp service is pretty good, If your lamps are firing normally without the AC then I would think it is a problem with the AC not your electric. Are you using x-10's or the DC8?

Bill.. Will I definitely need that? I won't have the computer hooked up to it all the time... Just for programming purposes.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ed. If you're dc8 is pluged into a GFCI, the GFCI could be too weak. Sometimes they come brand new weak. Try pluging it in direct and see what happens.
Brian. It is not needed if you remember that the PH reading is incorrect when it's hooked up to you're PC.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well I don't know if the ph reading will be a big problem, I think I will have the PH probe monitoring the effluent out of my Calcium Reactor, rather than having it read the tank PH.

Hey Brian,

You won't need it for just programming. As long as you disconnect it the ph will return to normal. You don't always get a ground loop situation, but I did.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This thing is freaking awesome! I have my lights and fans and heaters hooked up so far.. kind of half assed right now...but I am loving this thing!

Thanks for all the input guys.. I'm sure I will be having some more questions eventually... :D

Cool! I love mine too.

I have the lights on it, with a dawn to dusk cycle and I shut them down one at a time if the heat rises too much.

I control the heaters with the Jr. and hold a pretty steady temp now.

All the pumps are on and I use the feed cycle to shut them down for feeding. I have the closed loop come back on first to stir up the food that settles, and 10 minutes later the return comes back on.

I have a maxijet that comes on for a short time every hour to stir up the dead spots that aren't hit by the closed loop an return pumps. They are the spots where my low-flow corals live. I'm thinking of getting rid of the closed loop and going all maxijets, but I'll need to expand to another DC8 first.

The top-off pump is set to come on 2x a day, and of course I keep an eye on the ph with it.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I need some more help... (BIG SURPRISE!)

I hooked my return pump up to the ACjr

I can't figure out how to program it for a feed cycle using the Aqua Notes program. I would like to shut it off for 20 minutes during the feed cycle. Does anyone know the string I should use to do this?

The instructions leave a little to be desired!

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I also need help. The DC8 will not power on anything. I think the fuse is blown. I'm going to call them in the morning. I tried switching the dip swiches and even opened it to see if I could find the fuse. No luck. Any ideas?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I figured it out.... BUT

The pump put too much load on the DC-8 I guess. My lights were coming on at all weird times, or weren't turning on at all. So I pulled the pump off of it and everything is fine. It kind of worked out, because I hooked up my ATO to it instead. Guess I need a DC4 to get it working properly.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Dart pump is only about 1.5/2.0 amps I think. I was going to get the HD, just forgot to type it in!

arvin

NJRC Member
I see that the thread is revived just in time.

What else do I need to connect AC Jr to a PC besides Ground Isolated Serial Connector? Can i get a serial cable from compusa or something?

Bill - you mentioned couple of posts ago, it comes with ethernet & webserver. I thought only the higher models have that. Can I connect the AC Jr to pc using a Cat 5e cable?