• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquaripure Denitrator

Has anyone used the Aquaripure Denitrator (nitrate filter)? Was thinking of buying one and was looking for a little feedback as this is a somewhat expensive venture for the larger size.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We did a DIY sulfer denitrator for a while. It worked AMAZINGLY! Not sure what technology the Aquaripure uses. What do you know about it?

Phyl said:
We did a DIY sulfer denitrator for a while. It worked AMAZINGLY! Not sure what technology the Aquaripure uses. What do you know about it?Don't be fooled by the cheap nitrate removal products. These are simply a tiny band-aid on a large and permanent problem. You will need to buy them over and over again and they are not a good value. Only a specialized nitrate filter like Aquaripure can provide permanent and complete nitrate reduction. And unlike other similar nitrate filters, Aquaripure filters use proprietary and patent pending technology to maximize it's efficiency and effectiveness. Aquaripure filters all have a tremendous internal surface area for denitrifying bacteria to grow and thrive, much more than any "coil" denitrator or the other competition. For example, it would take more than ten "coil" type nitrate filters to equal the nitrate removing power of an X-Large Aquaripure. Moreover, many other nitrate filters are vastly overrated in terms of their capacity.

In "sulfur" nitrate filters the effluent contains large amounts of H2SO4, sulfuric acid, and SO4, sulfate. You must have a separate reactor with carbonate to neutralize the acid. The resulting effluent is still very high in sulfates and they will accumulate in the tank. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, high sulfates in drinking water can cause laxative effects. It is possible that it may also have adverse effects in the aquarium, especially on sensitive fish. Also, the costly sulfur and carbonate media must periodically be replaced. None of this is an issue with Aquaripure filters. With Aquaripure, no sulfuric acid or sulfates are produced and nothing will ever need to be replaced.

The chemical reaction in the Aquaripure produces 10 CO2 + 6 N2 + 26 H2O

Water and Carbon Dioxide versus Sulfuric Acid and Sulfates. Which would you prefer in your aquarium?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Interesting that they don't discuss their technology. Where's Boomer. I bet he knows!

I'm right here :)

I fell out of my chair and hurt my head when I saw this

be the equivalent of up to a 50 gallon weekly water change.

No filter can do that :)

I'll bet it is nothing more than having a porous media like a zeolite media, aka, Kitty litter, Nitrate sponge or ZeoVit media, which produce a surface area bacteria like to live/grow on. It is usually the Zeolite mineral, Clinoptilolite. It is the same thing as dosing the tank with Vodka, only here it is controlled in the canister filter and fed a small carbon source like a sugar. This is on the same line that Nitrate Sponge works on, in a canister filter, but these are not feed and just end up as LR and not all that efficient. I will say I have no clue why nobody has ever brought this idea up before. It should work fine as long as you do not over dose it with a carbon source.

BUT, I still want to see somebody test one. I do not buy into webpage hype, i.e., so called testimonial crap

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So what about the nay saying on the sulfer denitrator? If you use a second chamber with carbon or have your output go into your Ca reactor what's the downside?

radiata

NJRC Member
Phyl said:
So what about the nay saying on the sulfer denitrator? If you use a second chamber with carbon or have your output go into your Ca reactor what's the downside?

I don't see any downside. Maybe they don't know that sulfur is a major element in saltwater. I use a PhosBan reactor filled with CaribSea Geo-Marine Araganite as a second chamber to deacidify the water coming out of the first chamber. I don't think carbon would work to deacidify the output.

The insight thus far has been helpful but to be honest I'm no closer to making a decision. I don't mind giving something new a try but at almost $300 it would be a rather expensive guinea pig. Lil

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL. I meant Calcium.

Based on Boomer's assessment it sounds like stuff you could DIY.

As a side note, your avatar cracks me up.

I believe I had one of these.....The name rings a BELL....Don't waste your money. You have to dose vodka into the unit. Sulfur is the way to go.

Yes Yes it is the one I had......SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

Unlike other filters in which you have to replace the internal media, you will never have to change anything on the Aquaripure. There are no filters to change and no mess to deal with. There is a "feeding" tube on all of Aquaripure's filters that is very easy to use. You simply inject sugar water or alcohol into the Aquaripure once a week. Feeding and adjusting the Aquaripure only costs pennies and will only take seconds of your time. Aquaripure's filters are designed to be easy to setup and maintain, and will give you many years of service.

$300 :eek: :eek: :eek:

I did not see that. That is a rip-of for that and yes one could easily DIY it.

Phyl

It is just marketing hype.

DIY sounds good. any idea where I might find some reference material on the diy version of a denitrator?

P.S. Phyl, that avatar describes how things usually go when I attempt DIY. lol

In my opinion if you are going to DIY make a sulfure denitrator. You can actually use 2 of the little fishies reactors in line together. Take the first tube and fill it with sulfur take the second tube and fill it with aragonite. Have the pump run thru the sulfur first then thru the aragonite then just control the flow rate coming out with a small valve. Start with a drip rate of around 1 drip per second. Just monitor your nitrate level and thats it....It will take a few weeks for the bacteria to start to work but it will work.