• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquarium Cleaning Services

Im a high school student looking to start up a small fish tank cleaning business. For a quick background, I have loved fish my entire life, but was just able to get into the hobby 3 years ago. I started off with a freshwater tank, then upgraded to another, then another, until it got to the point where I had a 35g (I know that’s not too big, but for a kid who just entered the hobby a year prior, it was pretty awesome).I started doing hours of research every day, eventually finding out that owning, and maintaining, a reef tank was not as difficult as I thought. Fast forward two years later, and I have a fully established freshwater tank and a newly cycled reef tank (it may have been a little harder than I thought on my first attempt, but that just intrigued me to do more research and learn more). Throughout all these years, the thing I learned about the most is filtration and maintenance. That’s why I decided to help others out by cleaning their freshwater and saltwater (fowlr and reef) tanks, and even doing water tests on them. I only am only available in places in an hour radius of Cherry Hill, NJ (includes very north Delaware, Philly and some places around philly, almost all of south jersey, some of central jersey. I am able to travel farther than an hour, but it would cost a little extra. If interested in my services, text me at 1-(856) 417-2970.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Im a high school student looking to start up a small fish tank cleaning business. For a quick background, I have loved fish my entire life, but was just able to get into the hobby 3 years ago. I started off with a freshwater tank, then upgraded to another, then another, until it got to the point where I had a 35g (I know that’s not too big, but for a kid who just entered the hobby a year prior, it was pretty awesome).I started doing hours of research every day, eventually finding out that owning, and maintaining, a reef tank was not as difficult as I thought. Fast forward two years later, and I have a fully established freshwater tank and a newly cycled reef tank (it may have been a little harder than I thought on my first attempt, but that just intrigued me to do more research and learn more). Throughout all these years, the thing I learned about the most is filtration and maintenance. That’s why I decided to help others out by cleaning their freshwater and saltwater (fowlr and reef) tanks, and even doing water tests on them. I only am only available in places in an hour radius of Cherry Hill, NJ (includes very north Delaware, Philly and some places around philly, almost all of south jersey, some of central jersey. I am able to travel farther than an hour, but it would cost a little extra. If interested in my services, text me at 1-(856) 417-2970.
Good luck, hope it works out for you

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Good luck buddy, there is a lot of work in that immediate area. I have been servicing tanks in that area for almost 2 years now for a company. Great field to be in and a good living to be made. You will do great if you keep at it!

Good luck buddy, there is a lot of work in that immediate area. I have been servicing tanks in that area for almost 2 years now for a company. Great field to be in and a good living to be made. You will do great if you keep at it!
How would you recommend I put myself out there? I already did facebook, told people I know with fish tanks about it, posted on here and on r2r, but what else could I do?

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
There is a ton of work in the aquarium service industry. We are always looking for aquarium techs in the central NJ area. I would strongly recommend that you make sure to have business insurance in place prior to doing any jobs. This is HUGE. If something happens you would be personally liable for it (Or your parents if a minor).

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
How would you recommend I put myself out there? I already did Facebook, told people I know with fish tanks about it, posted on here and on r2r, but what else could I do?
Getting your foot in the door with an LFS is a good way to start. Start meeting people through that and network a little. Keep contacts because you will never know who you will need in the future. Thats something i have learned. Especially in this industry. It's a TON of networking and knowing people.
Social media is a great tool too. Instagram is popular although I despise it sometimes that could benefit you long term.

What i would do is just keep an eye and ear out for fish tanks. Doctor offices, vet clinics, lobby's or waiting rooms of random businesses and then just pop the question, "Who takes care of your tank?"
Even have your friends and family keep an eye out while they are out. Keep a look out on all the Facebook groups relative to NJ as I've picked up a couple clients that just post about needing service or a tank sitter in the for-sale groups.

Heck don't even be afraid of making a flyer and shove em into mailboxes. Especially of the houses you know that have a fish tank.