• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquarium glass cleaning pressure

I have a Fluval 13.5 gallon nano reef. I tend to have some hard growths on my glass and I especially like to scrape hard with a plastic cleaning head. I try to get all the edges. My question is how hard can I push/scrape the edge of the aquarium without fear that the silicone adhesive would somehow separate and cause a catastrophic failure? Are there any ratings on how much lbs the adhesives can take?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I have a Fluval 13.5 gallon nano reef. I tend to have some hard growths on my glass and I especially like to scrape hard with a plastic cleaning head. I try to get all the edges. My question is how hard can I push/scrape the edge of the aquarium without fear that the silicone adhesive would somehow separate and cause a catastrophic failure? Are there any ratings on how much lbs the adhesives can take?
honestly if that scraper goes under that silicone youll prob get a leak eventually but usually these tanks are glued first which is water tight and silicone for backup id assume your pretty safe but you getting alot of growth is lack of water changes my 13.5 ran for 2 years with weekly to biweekly changes once it went 3 weeks youd have to scrub the glass like crazy..

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
When this happens I make a line in the hard algae slightly above the silicone and then scrape it down. You may leave a small algae line but rather that than have a leak.