• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Arce's 29 Gallon SPS Tank

Amazing tank!... How do you like the tank being bare bottom? I plan on doing the same thing with my 150 except I plan to put starboard down to protect the glass

Happy Birthday Tank

Thanks kat!

Amazing tank!... How do you like the tank being bare bottom? I plan on doing the same thing with my 150 except I plan to put starboard down to protect the glass

Thanks! I love BB, sometimes i wish i could have sand, mostly because of sand dwelling inhabitants, but wouldnt go back. I started with sand then pulled it out, but had i started from the beginning id go with black starboard, or white.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Tanks looks great. Imagine what it will look like in another six months. I keep contemplating bare bottom but I love my gobie and seacuc to much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tanks looks great. Imagine what it will look like in another six months. I keep contemplating bare bottom but I love my gobie and seacuc to much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know i cant wait lol. Like i said before, i wish i had sand for things like gobies but BB is worth it.

Good looking tank. What do you feed, do you dose, run any reactors? I'm coming up on year two with my mixed reef 30g cube and I still feel like I haven't found the sweet spot.

Good looking tank. What do you feed, do you dose, run any reactors? I'm coming up on year two with my mixed reef 30g cube and I still feel like I haven't found the sweet spot.

Thanks. I usually broadcast reef snow once a week, other than that just the mysis i feed my fish. No reactors. I use red sea 2 part and nothing else. It took me a while to get things at the right point and im still struggling a little bit. It all comes down to stability in my opinion between all of your nutrient levels and such.

Hi!

Beautiful Tank!

Can you explain your equipment and filtration setup?

I've noticed some switching back away from LEDs... can you explain your rationale behind this? From what I had seen, LEDs were the next thing, but noticing more switching back to T5s and Metal Halides.

Hi!

Beautiful Tank!

Can you explain your equipment and filtration setup?

I've noticed some switching back away from LEDs... can you explain your rationale behind this? From what I had seen, LEDs were the next thing, but noticing more switching back to T5s and Metal Halides.

Thanks alot!

For equipment....

29 standard
10 standard sump (Drain/Fuge/Return)
Coralvue 4x39w T5 LED Fixture
SCA 301
BM doser
Tunze ATO
MP10 & WP10
RKL
350GPH return
Aqueon 200w Heater

...Think thats everything for equipment...

In terms of filtration, my methodology has evolved quite a bit over the course of my tank. As it currently stands, my goal is aggressive feeding with aggressive nutrient removal. To expand on that, i feed quite a bit daily between food for my fish and broadcast feeding for my corals and filter feeders, at the same time i aim to immediately remove it to not spike my nutrient levels. So i essentially aim for that low nutrient water quality but ensure there are plenty of foods in the water column to keep my fish and corals happy and healthy. I can make all of this happen thanks to a fuge literally full of chaeto, my oversized skimmer, using a filter sock which is cleaned almost every other day, and weekly water changes. I have also been dabbling in bacterial dosing but i cant say that its made a huge impact just yet.

For the LED T5 conversation... Its been proven T5 and MH work, not doubts about it, but LEDs are just as viable when used correctly. Most of the negative comments that come from LEDs are that corals, mainly SPS, do not color up fully and may look great top down but not looking through the front of your glass. Thats because LEDs only shoot light straight down, where the reflectors of T5 and MH shoot light at multiple angles. LEDs are viable, there are plenty of tanks out there with them but you cannot get a 2 cluster fixture and hope to light a 36" tank. In my opinion, T5 with LEDs are where its at. The color and pop from the LEDs and the dispersed light from the T5s. Just my .02.

Hope this answers your questions!