• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

are there any reef safe triggers for a 75g

I think that triggers are among the most interesting fish you can own. Generally I agree with the excellent advice posted by others on the best choice of species.

Still, any trigger in a reef is going to be questionable. They may not touch your corals, but they will gladly eat any shrimp, most snails, hermit crabs, and most other crabs. Triggers are also strong powerful fish, and love to "redecorate" your tank. It's amazing how large a rock or coral they can move. Triggers also like to "play in the sand", in other words dig. If you have a sandbed your trigger will dig it all up.

Because of all these factors, I think triggers are much more suited to a FO or FOWLR system, rather than a reef. If you have a true reef system, I recommend you either set up another tank, or forget about a trigger.

Ive found the biggest "trick" to any trigger claimed to be "reef safe" or "reef compatible" is to keep them very well fed. This usually means meaty foods, and feeding a couple times a day. I've found that to be tough to do.

I have a huma trigger temporarily housed in my 90 gallon until the 180 can be set up, and he hasn't bothered corals directly, yet. However, the advise given in the last post about them being redecorators is VERY VERY true. This little bugger managed to topple over a rock nearly 5 times his size and caused a small avalanche. They are also fond of grabbing anything they can lift and swim with and dragging it into tiny little hidden holes you cant reach! LOL! (detect a little hume bitterness there?) IE: frag plugs, rock rubble, HEATERS, veggie clips (yes, little bugger yanked the veggie clip right off the suction cup and burried it in the rock work somewhere. I can't find it... and he keeps trying to drag away the heater. graps it by the suction cup bracket and thrashes around like a puppy with a rope toy!)

At any rate, triggers are generally not considered reef safe, and most will outgrow a 75 in short order. I think the blue throat stays a bit smaller at about 10 inches, which is still too big for a 75.

Moral of the story, I'd probably steer clear of them in a 75, or in a reef tank where you can't keep the more docile varieties well fed and keep everything glued down TIGHT.

We have a few customers who currently have cross hatch,blue throats,pink tails, and sargassums in reefs with no problems at all. One of which houses fire,cleaner,and pistol shrimps along with fromia and brittle starfish and numerous snails and crabs and have not had any losses associated w/sargassum. It all goes down to what are you willing to risk because even the fish that are considered to be reef safe dont always turn out to be that way.

REEFLECTIONS said:
ok, so, no trigger for me.... thanks all

I think a bluejaw would work well in a 75. They generally stay around 6-7 inches, are zooplankton eaters (so they don't peck around the rock work generally) and aren't nearly as crazy and active as triggers like clowns, humu's, etc.

I have a bluejaw in mine and have zero problems with him. All the smaller fish hang out with him. He bothers nothing. He will even eat out of my hand. He would let me pick him right out of the water if I wanted too. He has a great personality. Very docile. Even visits the cleaner shrimp for a touch up.

i am really considering a male bluejaw trigger. i already have 14 fish in my tank, but most of them are very small-

3 tangs- purple, yellow, kole

2 true percs

5 lyretails anthias

2 bartletts anthias

1 purple psuedo

1 firefish

thanks pete, i have a few peppermints and a few cleaner shrimp in my tank, was wondering about that. i think i am going to have to get one!

i had a male and female blue jaw or throat whatever they are called in a 180 gallon reef and they were beautiful fish to have..it was amazing to see them pair up. they didn't touch anything, however i couldn't get them to eat really...and they unfortunately were put into my tank way too early i feel..but they were def reef safe...that being said, every fish is different..so id put them in with caution...if you dont have alot of fish you should get a pair of them...its crazy to watch the male and female swim...

I agree. I also had a male blue throat in my 75 with a few shrimp, cleaner and peppermint, and never botherd them not once. on the other hand I have a friend who added a pink tail into his 90 and it ate his shrimp. it all depends on the temperament on the fish. I have shrimp with wrasses and most people say you cant because the wrasses will eat them but mine haven't, knock on wood.

there are only 2 reef safe that I would recommend crosshatch (very expensive) and a bluechin 69.99 at AO for a small one pink tail they say is reef safe but would not trust them the other 2 are much much less destructive to the aquascape

When I had a aggressive tank (clown trigger, blue thought trigger, ****** trigger, large voltin lion, and a 2 foot snowflake eel) there was no rock formation just a pile they moved around. But the worst thing was every now and then the clown trigger would take chunks out of the power cords for the powerheads. The fish where great though I could pet the triggers and they all (except the snowflake) would eat jumbomins (ciclid food) from my hand.

I had a Blue Throat trigger that was a perfect citizen. He was very very timid though and my gold rim tang stessed him out so much I lost him.

I have/had a pink tail in my 55 gal,was a gd citizen,but wanted a huma,so now the pink is in the sump,and I guess I lucked out with the huma,cause he's fine thus far,the huma is around an 1-1/2" and the pink tail is around 4-5" I think too key is to keep them fed and happy. Sent you a pm... :)