• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ASM Skimmer Feedback

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I am most likely getting an ASM G-4 Plus skimmer in the group buy for my 180 gallon SPS tank. I will probably not be modding it right away. Does anyone have any experience w/ ASM skimmers? How noisy are they? Would this be OK for my 180? Will it perform decently out of the box?

I was also considering the Bubble Master 200.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Herb

I was running a ASM G-2 on a 90, I thought it did a great job till I bought a MRC-1, difference in skimmate was night & day, clarity of my water improved, etc... It could of been the skimmer wasn't large enough for my bioload, I really don't know. I know there are a few members using the ASM and like them alot.
I really like the Bubble Master, from reviews it looks like the way to go, and uses so little electricty. You might consider the 250 for an extra couple hundred, get ready for the next upgrade.

sinkingbeach said:
I was running a ASM G-2 on a 90, I thought it did a great job till I bought a MRC-1, difference in skimmate was night & day, clarity of my water improved, etc... It could of been the skimmer wasn't large enough for my bioload, I really don't know. I know there are a few members using the ASM and like them alot.
I really like the Bubble Master, from reviews it looks like the way to go, and uses so little electricty. You might consider the 250 for an extra couple hundred, get ready for the next upgrade.

I love my G3 too.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Billy was running a G4 before the upgrade. I know he did the mod, but I don't think he was ever happy with the results. He may still have it kicking around and need to get rid of it.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You'll want a G4+ for a 210. I have a G3 on a 150 (180 system) and it seems just about maxed out.

RichT said:
You'll want a G4+ for a 210. I have a G3 on a 150 (180 system) and it seems just about maxed out.
what size sump do you have for a g3? i have a 40g breeder with baffles and im afraid a skimmer this big wont fit

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I built a custom sump....

Although the G3 is a fine skimmer, I don't think you'll be happy with it as far as size goes. The recommendations are way over stated (IMO as well as others). The regular G4 isn't really a good skimmer either because the pump (sedra 5000) is undersized. The G4+ and G4x both use the sedra 9000 and do a great job from what I've seen. (one of each on different systems). Make sure you also take a good look at the Euro Reefs. Their more expensive but the quality is superior. Then again, unless your playing flag football with your skimmer it probably won't be much of an issue. If I could afford it I'd get a Deltec. But I can't so I got a ASM.
Good Luck, HTH

I've got a G4 also and it's huge compared to other skimmers that pull as much or more from the water. My main gripe with them is the fact that they are in sump only. You can't easily run them external which would help a lot since they are so big. The pumps are under-sized as RichT pointed out.

For the money, I like the T1000 skimmers which are a lot smaller and seem to run circles around the ASMs if kept clean. They work really well but get dirty faster then any other skimmer I've used.

Carlo

Here's a little bit of info on the T1000 from one of our vendors website. It's rated between 125 to 250 and will hang in the middle of that range pretty well. I will add I've never used the original pump with them because I usually switch out pumps on "small" skimmers to a Red Sea Berlin pump (with cap for airline ventura). That pump brings out the best in many nonperforming skimmers and the flow can be adjusted on it which I like. Cheap too.

The MRC is generally regarded as a good skimmer. I've never had one but a few of the customers I do maint for have them and I like them.

In the "small/home" skimmer department, I really like the skimmers from Bermuda Aquatics http://bermudaaquatics.com/bpshobby.htm. These skimmers rock and work well in any and all sizes they make. They are on the small side compared to others in the same rating, but pack a big punch. I'd almost go as far as saying, if one of the models in the size you need is in your price range then you will have about the best skimmer on the market for your tank. These skimmers from my experience will do at least as good a job as a Bubble King and run circles around a Deltec. Bermuda Aquatics has been a long time player in the big commercial skimmer business and has brought their knowledge down to the home market.

What I really like about these skimmers is that they are very cost efficient to run, have a small footprint which allows you to get a lot of skimming in under tank situations that you may not be able to get otherwise.

They are also very good at removing docs but leaving more plankton in the water then a lot of other skimmers. This kind of equates to removing more of the bad stuff and leaving more of the good stuff. Of course all skimmers remove some amount of plankton but these skimmers strike a good balance. You really can't go wrong with one.

I also like Aquatic Life System skimmers a lot. They are not well known but also pack a big punch. Before I ever used a Bermuda Skimmer this was the only skimmer I was able to get under a 120 tank that could keep a high bio-load system down to reasonable levels. I'd go with a Bermuda Aquatics skimmer over this one however based on price.

Hope that helped,
Carlo

PS I'm sure there are other fine skimmers to choose from too. These are ones I'm personally familiar with and have used based or recommendations from others.

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
Well Carlo, you pushed me over the edge and I ended up canceling my ASM g4 Plus order and I bought a Bermuda Aquatics BPS-5C today at Something Fishy. Todd and company at SF are the biggest Bermuda Aquatics fanatics out there. I know I won't be regretting this. It is producing as we speak after only a couple of hours being hooked up. The guys at SF gave me 25% off on a MAG 12 to boot).

Thanks for the recommendation.

Herb

Carlo
thanks much for your advise on the Bermuda aquatics skimmers . It certainly has helped my narrow down my choices. If i get a BA skimmer i would go for the BPS-5C.

Herb
can you please let me know if your satisfied with the skimmers performance. I'm thinking of getting one next month. I was also considering an asm 4 but the size and fact that its a sump only skimmers is why a may go with a Bermuda or an MRC. I currently use an etss reef devil deluxe. I like their skimmers but their higher end are extremely expensive.

thanks
Peter

i am running a ASM g6 and it rocks!!!!!!!!!

i ran a g4x with the gatevalve mod, a must!!
and the mesh mod, not a fan!

but the asm are awesome!