• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AWI RO/DI unit

So, I got my AWI RO/DI unit today (THANKS RICH! ;D ) and got all excited when I got home.

I calmed myself, pulled it all out of the box, layed out all the parts, and decided I would try the TDS meter on straight from the tap water to see what I got.

254 !!! ACK!

Ok, time to move into overdrive mode and install it, right?

UGGG! Wouldn't it be my luck that my cold water supply lines to my faucets have the only material the valve WON'T work on! BRAIDED HOSE! DANG IT!

Future point of reference: Never buy a 100+ year old farm house remodeled in the 70's!

And of course, now it's snowing.... Do I drive to lowes? Grrrr.....

Sorry to hear that Matt!

It's like geeting a cool present at Christmas and the batteries are missing!

And all the stores are closed. Remember when all the stores closed?

I know that feeling. Everytime I get anything new for my tanks I want to use it right away. I know....... Patience is a virtue especially for Reef tanks. This hobby has helped me practice that because I am not that good at it.

blange3 said:
Sorry to hear that Matt!

It's like geeting a cool present at Christmas and the batteries are missing!

And all the stores are closed. Remember when all the stores closed?

Yeah, no kidding. I remember stores actually being closed on holidays! That is the rare exception to the rule these days. I know my store only closes twice a year: Thanksgiving and Christmas. We are even open on EASTER! Ack.

jazzsam said:
I know that feeling. Everytime I get anything new for my tanks I want to use it right away. I know....... Patience is a virtue especially for Reef tanks. This hobby has helped me practice that because I am not that good at it.

Patients are for doctors! Oh, wait, wrong patience....

The thing that kills me is had I just looked under the sink BEFORE I picked it up, I would have seen that, and the parts are just a couple bucks and a few minutes to replace the braided hose... DOH! Something to be said for planning, I suppose...

Stoopid snow...

Ok, got it hooked up today. I didn't feel like ripping out the old plumbing. I have a double sink with a dual drain, and a braided "y" at the top for the sink hose. Luckily, the PVC that comes up to the wierd 1970's pvc to braided valve was long enough that I just cut out a small piece and inserted a new PVC valve lower down. I installed the tap valve for the RO/DI in between the two valves (I think the old one in-line didn't work anyway).

The question for all you guys/gals that has one of these is: How long before I start being able to get water out of it?

How long should I let it drain to "break in"?

I would just check the TDS.

Do the Typhoons have an RO only tap? I would run it until the RO TDS gets down in the single digits. My Kent unit with 2 stages before the membrane gets down to 2 with a Filmtec 75gpd membrane. My tap water runs between 190 and 210.

When you hit single digits, kick in the DI and make water.

blange3 said:
I would just check the TDS.

Do the Typhoons have an RO only tap? I would run it until the RO TDS gets down in the single digits. My Kent unit with 2 stages before the membrane gets down to 2 with a Filmtec 75gpd membrane. My tap water runs between 190 and 210.

When you hit single digits, kick in the DI and make water.

Yeah, they have a bypass valve on the top for RO only.

I turned off the drain and let the DI cartridge fill up, pulled some of the water and tested it, it was 1. Normal tap runs about 245 to 250 (both according to the hand held TDS meter that came with the unit).

Is it safe then to turn off the waste valve and start generating water?

Ok, I see what you were saying. I tested the RO only and it is running at about 45 right now. I will let it drain until that gets to single digits.

Thanks!

Ok, so I tested it again shortly after that last post, and it was actually up to 150 or so, so I think I messed up the last reading.

At any rate, it's only down to about 90 through the RO only. It's been running on waste since around 5pm. Is it safe to say I'm going to need to let this thing run all night to clear?

(Can you tell I have no patience? ;D )

I am not good with patience and I have a RO unit on order. I have a feeling I will be in the same boat when I get mine in!

LOL Just make sure you have all your prep work done ahead of time so you can hook it up as soon as you get it! I had it on Sunday, but couldn't hook it up until today because of the stoopid braided hose on the cold water supply. I had to go get a PVC valve and splice it into the PVC part of the supply pipe.

I was told that it would come with a hookup to a normal hose. I have a spicket that I don't use that would be perfect for this.

You should be all set then.

I needed to mount mine under the sink, so I needed the tap valve. I should have paid more attention to the fact that it wouldn't work on braided hose.

Good luck with yours. I shut mine off for now. I will run it again tomorrow, I didn't want to leave it run all night.