• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back after 10 years

Hello all. I’m getting back into the hobby after losing my 2 reef tanks during a very extended power outage after hurricane Irene. So it’s been a pretty long hiatus. I’ve been reading and following on here for a little while now to try to get back up to speed. I’m starting out again fresh and new. A lot has changed in the hobby over the last 8 or 9 years. Or it could be age is just catching up and I’ve forgotten most of what knew before.
I’m very excited and looking forward to reefing again. FYI, I have a large battery backup and a small generator this time around that hopefully won’t be needed.

I bit the bullet and got a Red Sea Max e170 has been set up and cycling for just about a month. Started out with 40lbs each of live sand and Life Rock. Started cycle with ammonia and bottle bacteria. Followed all instructions and all went well. Currently at 0 ammonia and nitrites for about a week. Nitrates around 10. PH around 8. Brought ammonia up to 2pmm again on Wednesday night and was at 0 again by morning. Same for nitrites. I’m using API (for what it’s worth) and Red Sea test kits.

Today is the day, I’m going to add the first fish and a very small clean up crew for now.
Im heading down to ACC in Ocean today, I’ve been anxious to check them out. Since I’m going to be in the area, does anyone know of any other good LFS in that area?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
ACC is the only one left since tropiquarium is gone. Where are you located?

I’m in North Bergen. I’m close to Absolutely Fish and a few others. I use to go to OG2 but I’ve heard they have gone down hill, they were my go to place years ago. I’ve been dying to go to ACC so I’m taking the trip today. Does anyone have any recommendations for that area?

Welcome back. And unfortunately theres nothing else in that area to check out. Acc is really all youll need. A one stop shop and a pretty nice one at that.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ultimate coral in Jackson

I’ve been there. Nice place. Maybe I’ll stop in there for a look around on the way back.
I see your from my home town. I grew up in Roselle.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been there. Nice place. Maybe I’ll stop in there for a look around on the way back.
I see your from my home town. I grew up in Roselle.
Yea still here, though not much of anything around in this town

Made the trip to ACC. Amazing place. Service was absolutely great. Every fish looked perfect and healthy. Thank God the tank is new and I can’t add much yet, I would have gone broke. I picked up a pair of Oc clowns (of course). I had to really restrain myself with the coral, but still left with 3. A green fuzzy shroom rock, a Zoa frag, and a small torch. I know I should have waited a little longer before adding a torch, but the GF really liked it and the happier she is the more I’ll get away with adding (and spending) later. The coral have been acclimated and dipped and are in and already opening up nicely. The little clowns are acclimating.
so glad I made the trip there, it will definitely be my go to place, even if it is a little far.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Aquatic Obsessions and ReefCo is in Greenbrook. I did go into Ocean Gallery last week and was pleasantly surprised. The tanks were not as bad as I was expecting.