• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back in the Game

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Hello everyone,

I have been stalking this website for a long time now and finally got my tank after being out of the hobby for a decade. It's a 450-gallon shallow reef. I hope to have it up and running in the next few weeks. Hopefully, I can get the plumbing and leak test done this weekend and start the fun of cycling. Stay tuned...

IMG_1918 (1).jpg
IMG_1919.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Welcome back!!!! Wow that is a fantastic tank. I look forward to your posts as you move along. It’s always fun watching someone build their tank.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Wow that is a great looking tank. That’s the shallow tank I would go with if I was doing a big tank.
Good luck with the build

Last edited:

john90009

NJRC Member
Welcome back!! Where are you from and who did you get to build that beautiful piece of work??? If I had that much room....

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
WOW !!!!!!
now that you've got all of our attention with that beautiful tank, good luck.
where abouts are you located?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
welcome back....450 damn!! what a way to come back !!

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Thanks, everyone. I am excited to join such an awesome group of people and share in your adventures. I actually showed up two years ago at mnat's house for a meeting[pre-covid] without even having a tank lol-like a weirdo. I met DangerDave and Mark and many other great people. I hope to have the plumbing done this weekend. I am in Point Pleasant. I hope to eventually do a mixed reef with some SPS [when the tank matures down the road], but in my old tank, I never got past the softy/LPS level. I have been researching, saving, and following all of you for quite some time so I think I am ready to take on the challenge. The dimensions are roughly 97 long x 43 wide x 25 high with external overflow. Below is a picture of my little guy in part of my sump that I plan to design[it is an industrial plastic food container]. I really appreciate all the kind words and Paulie069 even offered to help move the tank not ever having met me. Cheers to you all! Also special congrats to Paul B for 50 years of reefing.

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 8

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Welcome back!!!! Wow that is a fantastic tank. I look forward to your posts as you move along. It’s always fun watching someone build their tank.
Diana,

I was going to order the overnight 15lbs of live rock for KP aquatics to help with the cycle and biodiversity. I know you said you had ordered some previously. Did you get any good life on the rocks and about how many pieces came with it? size of pieces?

john90009

NJRC Member
On reef2reef I have been seeing a lot of kp aquatic buys and a decent amount of them will have a gorilla crab or two , you will get plenty of bacteria and life on it for a cycle, but be wary of the crabs and a mantis.

Diana,

I was going to order the overnight 15lbs of live rock for KP aquatics to help with the cycle and biodiversity. I know you said you had ordered some previously. Did you get any good life on the rocks and about how many pieces came with it? size of pieces?

I just received 70 lbs of KP rock two weeks ago. Very nice stuff.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We love having local reefers over, with or without a tank. Also happy to have another person local, let us know if you need help with anything and yes we will have some frags for you (that will look tiny in that monster). I love those tank dimensions.