• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bare bottom setup

Hi all,
I'm going to set up my 93 cube within the next week after being out of the hobby for 8 years. I planned on going with a bare bottom setup this time to avoid cyano, and started to think about the absence of shimmer from of the lighting against the sand, rock falling and hitting the glass on the bottom, etc.

Who does bare bottom out there? Any advice?

PS: I have by base spray-painted black (under the bottom of the tank).

Erik

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I did bare bottom on my 50g. sps grew all over the floor...

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I have a 6 month old 125 bare bottom and so far no real issues. I seeded it with a few marine pure blocks that I put in my biocube a few months before I set it up. I let it cycle for almost 2 months before I added fish and then started putting coral slowly in about a month after putting the fish in. So far things are stable and I didn’t really go through my of an ugly phase. As it was cycling I got my lighting and turned the lights on right before I put the coral in.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I just moved and I started a new tank. My plan was to run a bare bottom tank. My wife walked down and looked at my setup and she said where is the sand ? I told her I am not putting sand. She said that looks horrible. So now I have sand in my 220 lol.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
My frag tanks are BB. My display is going to be shortly. I love the look of a fine white sand, but it’s easier to maintain a BB in my opinion.

erics210

NJRC Member
I have been bare bottom, just due to all my small corals being covered, hidden, and dying. It is easier. I can just use a turkey baster or power head to stir things up as I do a water change...BAMM DOne. No siphoning sand to clean it.