• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Basement IM 100 EXT

Hey all, finally starting a build thread after being out for roughly 8 years. I previously had a 28g reef tank and a few smaller ones but once my son was born I had to give it up & I gave all the livestock to members of this club. Fast forward & my kids are now 9 & 7 and I time now & people I'd kids I'd like to show this hobby to.

In August I purchased an Innovative Marine 100 EXT and a JBJ 65 gallon AIO. I decided to redo the basement after purchasing and the tank sat in my living room. I finally finished plumbing it up tonight (it's my first tank with a sump) and am currently making water, I'll have enough water to fill it this weekend. I have not leak tested anything, it's my first time plumbing, if the tank or sump is faulty you'll hear my screams no matter the part of the state.

Equipment List:
Innovative Marine Ext100
Precision Marine Sump
Octo Elite 150 INT Skimmer
2 Cobalt 200w Heaters
2 7" filter cups
Reef Octo Various 6 return pump
2 Reef Octo Pulse 4 powerheads
48" 4 bulb Aquatic life T5 fixture
3 Kessil A360WE lights
Kessil H80 Fuge light

Here's my tank, sump, plumbing & a picture of the rear. Aquarium.jpg Aquarium rear.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. So jealous... I love rimless / brace-less tanks. Best of luck. I look forward to future photos... curious, how do you intend to light it?

Very nice. So jealous... I love rimless / brace-less tanks. Best of luck. I look forward to future photos... curious, how do you intend to light it?

I have an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture for it, 4 bulb 48" T5 plus I'll be adding 3 Kessil A360We's. I'm still trying to figure out how I'll mount the fixture. There's a basement window straight behind the tank which makes wall mounting slightly more tricky. I figure I've likely got a month of cycling before I need to worry about the light being on. Problem I found out last night is I really could use an Ro/DI booster pump, I have 50 PSI and it feels like it's wasting alot.

I have an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture for it, 4 bulb 48" T5 plus I'll be adding 3 Kessil A360We's. I'm still trying to figure out how I'll mount the fixture. There's a basement window straight behind the tank which makes wall mounting slightly more tricky. I figure I've likely got a month of cycling before I need to worry about the light being on. Problem I found out last night is I really could use an Ro/DI booster pump, I have 50 PSI and it feels like it's wasting alot.

I am seriously considering the exact same lighting set up. And also have 48-50 PSI. I added the booster pump and it pushed my PSI to 100. I dialed it back to 80psi and it works awesome. Oh and RODI is 150 gallons a day set-up. I have tested that twice and I make about 165 a day. So I am very happy with it. Wasn’t getting even close to that production before adding pump

I have a smart buddie booster pump and it works very well it would take forever to make water before. It has auto shut off and flushes the membrane automatically.

I'll have to get one, I believe my RoDi is also a 150 per day but at it's current production it certainly isn't. Looks like Marinedepot has that pump and I have roughly $70 rewards with them so that's great.

Well bit of an update, it's been a few weeks and I dosed the tank up to off the charts Ammonia by accident. My Ammonia tonight just read zero, I do have Nitrites still but not overly concerned. I figure by Sunday my tank might be cycled. I have most equipment installed; I need to hang the lights (waiting on 3.5mm cables); turn on the skimmer & receive the rest of the parts I need to build / cleanup my power center (not pictured yet), build the screen lid & put some marine pure balls in the sump and install doors on stand. I think really turning the skimmer on & building the lid will allow me to get fish in the tank & start something. Updating my first post with an updated equipment list.Current full shot.jpg

Update 5/8/19 - Cycle complete - went to Petco & purchased 2 Gladiator Clowns. Floated bag & added. Both clowns ate some pellets immediately after. I turned off the return pump for 15 minutes & let the powerheads run, the fish really stuck to their corner but they found some of the food. Downside while kids were looking at the clowns they heard a loud POP. Turns out one of my 200W Cobalt Heaters blew after 1 month of use. Luckily they have a 3 year warranty, I kept the receipts from August so we'll see how they do with it. I snagged a 150w Cobalt off my 65g that isn't quite running yet fortunately to get the heater wattage back up to 350W in the tank. The kids have named the clowns Nemo & Sparky. Petco had a gorgeous Dragon Wrasse that I want but appears they will quickly outgrow this tank by a lot so no go. These really are some pretty clowns & I chose them over the very nice looking Picasso's because they were a bit bigger & I'm hoping they survive.Full Tank with Clowns 5-8-19.jpg Gladiator Clowns day 1.jpg

I’m looking to buy the same tank. I have a trigger systems sump. How much flow do you get out of the secondary and third drain. I’m curious because I want to run the refugium and can plumb it in but it all depends on flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get zero flow out of the second & 3rd drains, those are emergency drains only. The difference in height between the 2nd & 3rd is so very close that I don't want to try & run anything down the emergency. I believe some people run with a trickle down the 2nd to help it quiet the tank but not in mine. My overflow is super loud & annoying. It seems based on a post on reef2reef concerning Octopus Various return pumps they're not consistent in output. Either that or the fact that it's a 1.25" output on the pump & I than have it reduced to .75" for the return plumbing is causing back pressure that it's creating a non consistent amount of water to flow into the overflow. Thus I end up with gargling. I still have a few things to try to silence it but I'm not super hopeful. My refugium is the 3rd chamber in my sump. It currently has 2 heaters, marinepure balls I believe, Chaeto & a red algae now.