• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Battery powered air pump

I'm looking for an air pump that won't run when plugged into the wall but will turn on and run off a battery if power goes out. I want to place an air stone behind some rocks below one of my Vortechs

Thanks, Phyl. But, that looks like a stand alone battery air pump. I need something that will automatically kick on if the power goes out.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I honestly don't think what you are looking for exists. All the battery powered ones need to be manually turned on. The one that Tom listed runs on electric and switches to an internal battery when the power goes out.

panmanmatt said:
I honestly don't think what you are looking for exists. All the battery powered ones need to be manually turned on. The one that Tom listed runs on electric and switches to an internal battery when the power goes out.

That's what it seems. I don't need air when everything is running but, it would be nice to have in conjunction with the Vortech battery back-up. I did find one but, it runs off of "D" batteries. Would be nice if it was self charging.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/silentairpump.html

What you can do is obtain a typical small computer UPS, and a SPDT relay, plus a few other parts. You wire the relay so that it controls the outlet on the UPS. Set it up so the relay disconnects the UPS's outlet when there is main power available. Then when power fails, the relay will no longer be energized, and it will connect the UPS's outlet to the battery backup source.