• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best LFS for Fish

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy,

What's everyone's thought on the best lfs in NJ for fish. I go to Petco and it's super hit or miss for what's in stock. Is there a good store that stocks a LOT of variety?

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Absolutely Fish in Clifton. I don't love their coral selection, but for fish they are hands down the best in Northern NJ. Have shopped around and now stock all of my tanks from their supply. Great selection of very healthy livestock.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Absolutely Fish in Clifton. I don't love their coral selection, but for fish they are hands down the best in Northern NJ. Have shopped around and now stock all of my tanks from their supply. Great selection of very healthy livestock.

I got a free 7.99 coral from them from Reefa. I've been needing to go! I figured with the name they would focus on fish! I will make it a note to go! Is it majorly salt water or?

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Half and half....staff is fairly well educated and selection is good. They specialize in harder to find species, but they have a great selection of your usual suspects as well.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Acc on rt35
Aquarium center south jersey
Hidden reef Langhorne pa

I haven't been but looking at video's Reefco. seems to have a decent selection though mostly corals. They note on the tanks when the fish arrived & various information about them. I spoke with them at RAP & they were very friendly.

Aquatic Obsessions

1150 St Georges Ave, Avenel, NJ 07001
(732) 634-8448

Aquatic Obsessions - Google Search

Will always puts the date of the fish arrival on all tanks. The store is always clean and I trust them with live stock. I don’t buy fish often but when I do I get it from them.

But you are north jersey so if lived up there I would go to Absolutely fish.
I second aquatic obsession. Yes absolutely fish has more fish. Way more fish. And they are ok. But I have been to both many times. The fish at aquatic obsessions are fed real well and always look top notch. In short. If it’s a run off the mill fish and fairly inexpensive I’d go to absolutely fish. If it’s expensive rare or important to you. Go to aquatic obsession

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I second aquatic obsession. Yes absolutely fish has more fish. Way more fish. And they are ok. But I have been to both many times. The fish at aquatic obsessions are fed real well and always look top notch. In short. If it’s a run off the mill fish and fairly inexpensive I’d go to absolutely fish. If it’s expensive rare or important to you. Go to aquatic obsession

Have to say Will is a great guy. used to shop there all the time when I lived closer.
I always stop in when passing by that area.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I haven't been but looking at video's Reefco. seems to have a decent selection though mostly corals. They note on the tanks when the fish arrived & various information about them. I spoke with them at RAP & they were very friendly.

Yes Brian @ reefco is very good. I think he has some of the best selection of frags. Very clean shop. But even he will tell you fish ain’t his thing. If you never been you should definitely go. It’s only open on the weekends but it’s worth a trip from anywhere.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Check TSM corals for corals and higher end and well conditioned fish. They’re just opening their new retail location, hoping to get out there soon. Ultimate corals is another good one, check his Facebook page, he always has something spectacular available.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I caught the sale at absolutely. I was specifically looking for a kole tang and they had a few. I really like the one I got so kudos to them. I’m fairly picky.
View attachment 23673
Real hard to take pics but there’s our new buddy. Seems very happy not skittish and everyone getting along
Beautiful fish !

I will have to take a look during the week if I can.

Did you qt?