• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best light setting for corals

I have a hydra 52 for a 65 gallon cube 12” from the surface of the water. I also have a hydra 26 18” from the surface on a 30 gallon breeder tank. I can’t seem to get the best settings. Does anyone have any suggestions

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Everyone is going to have a different opinion of this but I'm a firm believer in more blue spectrum and low par. We cook everything from shrooms to acros in low light. Best advice i can give is start very slow and then slowly increase the intensity. Get the blue spectrum set and then (if you want) very slowly increase the white spectrum.

There's a pretty large following of people shooting for AB+-like spectrumwith AI lights (myself included with my pair of 32HDs over a 40B) which you can see in the BRS video below (for the HD/26/52 versions). Just means crank those blues high, a bit of green and red for some color pop and add white to get the tank color you want and then adjust the intensity to meet your goals.

If you go on the AI website you can also download some of their signature settings from some example tanks they have. Play around and see if any match the look you want. You can see what corals are thriving with each setting from the pictures.

Ultimately, as was stated before, it is super easy to burn the crap out of your corals with all the lights in the hobby. (... Looks at a bleached out acro in my tank :( ) We can easily spend a lot of cash getting cool corals so it is also a solid investment to do a par meter rental at some point for 40-80 bucks (depending where) and make a par map of your tanks so as to have a better idea where some corals could go and not go.