• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best scraper ever

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, after ages of magnetic scrapers I gave up. Was going to 3d print something to just hold a standard shaving razor as I shave with an old school safety razor and the blades are about 5 bucks a dozen depending on brand.

Did a search and found these on Amazon. They use standard double blade razors you can buy anywhere - cheap and last a while, and they scrape even coraline off like a hot knife through butter.

No more half-arsed $35 magnetic crap. I’m LOVING this thing. Just have to freshwater rinse after use.

BTW, I ordered a different brand, but they all seem to be the same.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Nice! i do service work so I blow through "name brand" blades.
Going to pick this up, tired of paying $6-$8 for a 3 pack that maybe last me 2 weeks.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I tried make something similar using 1 inch PVC. I cut the angle wrong twice so far. Not sure what angle I need. The wrong cuts caused me to angle the PVC far from the glass to get good pressure.

Rueric

NJRC Member
I have one of these and can confirm, these things are great for clearing out any of the harder to scrape algae.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have the same scraper but mine is made of plastic. Got it also on Amazon

So, after ages of magnetic scrapers I gave up. Was going to 3d print something to just hold a standard shaving razor as I shave with an old school safety razor and the blades are about 5 bucks a dozen depending on brand.

Did a search and found these on Amazon. They use standard double blade razors you can buy anywhere - cheap and last a while, and they scrape even coraline off like a hot knife through butter.

No more half-arsed $35 magnetic crap. I’m LOVING this thing. Just have to freshwater rinse after use.

BTW, I ordered a different brand, but they all seem to be the same.

I used that for a while. was really great. what I found was that the razor would rust after a while and I was worried about letting rust in the tank. Not sure if that is a concern for you

radiata

NJRC Member
The referenced scraper is indeed interesting. But, I'd prefer a SEB (single-edged-blade) tool. Any chance this tool would hold one? I'd probably bleed to death toying with a two edged blade...