• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best way to catch goby - Calling all volunteers

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He's out of my tank now and swimming in a tank at the Aquarium Center in Blackwood, NJ

2 days of trying with a slurp gun, 4 people making attempts over the last 3 weeks, finally today I tore down the tank.

I made up 60 gallons of water, got every barrel and container I had, took a picture of the tank, then took everything out. I moved the few corals I had to the sump so they were in the same water as the tank. I still could not get him and was about to consider JazzSam idea of dynamite, when Pete said let him give it a shot, and in 10 minutes he wore the goby down and got him.

I got the rock back in mostly the same way, but got busy with a hammer and broke up some of my larger pieces and built some "shelves". Not sure if I like the new layout, but we shall see.

So now the tank is trying to recover from the sand storm. Tomorrow, I will change out the socks, then use a shop vac to clear out all the sand in the sump, and go from there. My brain will be so happy to not be covered up with sand every night.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
pgordemer said:
My brain will be so happy to not be covered up with sand every night.

Filled with Martini's is certainly much better. :p

Oh yeah, whats the end of a successful tank day without a Martini to celebrate.

Ya know, I think we need to save some time: "Hi my name is Phil, and its been 4 days since I had a Martini, and 2 days since I changed something in my tank, I am a salty-holic." (groups chats, "Hi Phil")

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I read this today on RC about getting problem damsels out of a tank and pissed myself laughing, but strangely found it a fitting possibility if I hadn't already gotten him out after tearing down..

------------------------
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1203007
This may sound rude, and probably offend some of you. But I used a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner to suck out a problem tomato clownfish recently. I just chased him with the tube extension until he was in a corner he believed was safe, and then I flipped it on and sucked him in.

Made it out alive and traded him in for some credit. Of course I did not tell the LFS how I got them, and they did not other to ask.

I wont say this is the best way or even humane, but it sure was damn easy.

------------------