• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Big Al's in PA...anyone been yet?

That location isn't too far from me. With some luck, I may be able to visit this weekend. If I do, I'll write a report.

Well, I got to Big Al's today and had a look around.

It's a store that I would consider worth a visit to, but nothing so over the top that you have got to see it now.

Overall the store is clean, nicely decorated, and does have a large circular tank with a couple of small sharks in it. They had a large staff, and they seemed helpful, but I didn't quiz any of them on the hobby.

This is mostly a tropical fish store with a few reptiles. It was well stocked with typical FW equipment. SW equipment was ok, but mostly in the low end to mid range. Not much in the way of high end equipment.

They did have a lot of large tanks on display. Most were Perfecto, and I don't recall seeing any that were reef ready. (In the large tanks) Lots of plastic plants, plastic corals, and plastic tank decorations. Personally I consider these a waste in an aquarium, but they must sell a lot of them.

In the livestock area, the SW fish selection was OK, but nothing special. In other words I didn't see anything that I had not seen before. The fish all did look healthy, and I did not see any diseases on them.

The corals, clams and related items looks OK, and some good but not spectacular pieces.

FW fish seemed ok, but I didn't look too closely at them. Again, more or less a typical selection. Also a large selection of goldfish, and a few koi, but again typical.

FW plants were only fair. Although they were nicely displayed, they only have a modest selection. Many other stores have better plant selections.

Prices were typical. I call then about average.

Overall, on a scale of 0 to 10, I'd give the store an 8 (provisional). I'd move it up if the livestock selection gets better in the future. To compare it to other local stores, I would rate it a bit below In Living Color in Marlton NJ, and a bit below The Aquarium Center in Clementon, NJ.

ReefDrumz said:
Why not hop on over to the Reviews Section and write a review about them?

It's located ... HERE
;D

I may do that in the future, but right now the store is just too new to give it a fair rating. It could easily get a lot better or a lot worse.

Call what I wrote a first impression.

I'll check into them from time to time and keep you posted.