• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bigyankfan's 225 Dream Reef Build

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My name is Eric and I live in Holmdel. Here is my current setup - an SCA 50 that has been up and running since 2017. I had a 120 that ran for many years until I shut it down after Sandy wiped out the entire tank, We moved to a house this January and now that I have the room, I'm doing my dream tank. Here are pics of my current tank, which I will be selling once the 225 is up and running:

20211205_163047.jpg
20211205_163112.jpg

And here is our den, where it will go:

20211205_163009.jpg

The outlet is a dedicated 20 amp line that I just had put in this week. More posts to follow.

Last edited:

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Working on the stand now:

20211205_112742.jpg

Took off the doors and cleaned the inside then I sealed the bottom seams with caulk.

20211205_143146.jpg

Sprayed the bottom with white Flexseal so that if I have any leaks, it will be contained in the bottom of the stand and won't leak on the floor.

20211205_145455.jpg

Last edited:

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have the powdered citric acid that I use because it doesn't have that bad smell. I also ordered the marine background from Universal Rocks so that will cover up the mess on the back wall and overflow.

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It is 72" x 27" x 27" - I bought if from a guy from Lodi on Manhattan Reefs and thx. My 120 I built a stand and canopy for it but this time I'm just going to fix up the existing stand because I'm eager to get it up and running - here is the thread from last build.

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The stand is finished inside - I've sanded and fixed the gouges on the exterior and I've removed all of the top and bottom trim. I am going to refinish the exterior - pics to come.

20211223_174423.jpg

Last edited:

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It turns out that I need a little more or this contact paper, so I had to order another roll. I won't use a good portion of the second roll, so if anyone wants to reskin their stand let me know and you can have the remainder.

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The tank is cleaned, I resealed the front seams and I spray painted the left side panel which will be up against a window.

20211229_181503.jpg

I built a sub-base for the tank from 2 x 4's so that I could put levelling feet underneath the stand - the floor is my den has a 0.15 degree slope so I want the tank to be perfectly level. There are 16 feet that I bought from Rockler so each foot will carry 1/16th of the total load of approximately 3500 lbs. or about 220 lbs. per foot which is well under their 400 lb. rating

20211229_181446.jpg

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Installed the lights in the stand, put in the two EB-8's and added a piece of MDF that will be sprayed white and will be my controller board - I can't believe they charge over $100 for one.

20220104_184146.jpg20220104_184121.jpg
20220104_184243.jpg

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Here is the update - my 91 year old Mom got very sick right after New Year's, was hospitalized and then passed away in the beginning of February. I started working on the tank again on Valentine's Day and proceeded to gash my knuckle with a utility knife so deep that it took 6 stitches to close. That being said, the knuckle is healed enough so that I can start back up - new pics will be posted soon and thx for asking.

Attachments

• 20220220_130008.png
    20220220_130008.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
dude I am so sorry about your mom, and your finger that looks painful, hopefully you will be able to get the tank up and up to shape again

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Here is the update - my 91 year old Mom got very sick right after New Year's, was hospitalized and then passed away in the beginning of February. I started working on the tank again on Valentine's Day and proceeded to gash my knuckle with a utility knife so deep that it took 6 stitches to close. That being said, the knuckle is healed enough so that I can start back up - new pics will be posted soon and thx for asking.
thats a nice cut im sure it felt amazing haha good to see your back at it i love the stand man wish you did a video legit looking stand i also noticed you added leveling legs sweet!
unfortunate to hear about your mother hope all is well in the family.

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Thx for your kind thoughts. As for the stand, it was a crappy black plywood stand that I covered in this stuff in brown.