• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Billyr98's Real Upgrade! 450g Starphire Custom Reef Tank!

Well its coming soon... and so did the heat!!

so i got my new chiller from Tradewinds on Friday.. Meeting was yesterday... so I plumbed it in today!

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

also here is the tank layout...

tankpic.jpg

and here is the new skimmer beast!

MRC MR-4R!!

DSC_0244.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Man that is one awesome chiller and a mean arse looking skimmer. Can't wait to see this bad boy in person.

What will your total system size be with the new tank?

i don't really want to add it up.... but lets see... 450 tank, 125g frag, 100g sump, 100g fuge... and maybe 150g 2nd sump... not sure about that though... so it will be 725 with maybe a future 875g... sick!!! this hobby is sick!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WHOAH! What a monster!!

Nice plumbing work... even with the purple primer. :)

Where are the Tank-in-Progress pics?!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Holy Cow!!

That is crazy...Your utility company is going to LOOOOVE you!

Can't wait to see it all setup!

actually this chiller is hardly running to keep the temp... my old chiller never turned off..
but anytime you and Deb wanna stop over.. C'mon down!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's really sweet Billy.

Hmmmm . . . . just looking out my window, I think I may have space right next to my A/C compressors for one of those! And the sump is on that side of the house . . . . hmmmmmm

Did you need to get a permit to install that thing?

What size chiller is that Billy?

Just curious, but if you hardly needed the use of a chiller before, why the big one now?

What have/are you done/doing on the way of UPS/generators if anything in case of power outages?

Carlo

I think I can answer part of your questions Carlo. It's a 1 1/2 horse... and this one barely stays on. The old chiller was a 3/4 horse, I believe, which is the one that never turned off.

Wish I was there to Help out Bill. I was busy working on my 90 gallon, which I think is like a betta tank for you!!

Good work, looks awesome.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Carlo said:
Just curious, but if you hardly needed the use of a chiller before, why the big one now?
billyr98 said:
actually this chiller is hardly running to keep the temp... my old chiller never turned off..

thanks pete for the answers.. only thing wrong was the old chiller was 1/2 ... the chiller was oversized so I can get an outdoor unit and run less

mott768 said:
Billy are you going to drain and bring it in during the winter or will it be ok during the winter?

i will drain and cover it... this thing is the same as an AC unit, no need to bring it inside... and I have no where to store it :D