• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Biocube Experience

Somebody gave me a 29G Oceanic Biocube. Before I spend a couple hundred bucks on a stand and other stuff to set it up, does anybody have any experience to share with these tanks? I haven't used a wet/dry filter since 2000!

I love my cube(granted mine is smaller but still same concept) you're going to be upgrading the lights, pump, PH, filter(intank media basket & fuge FTW). so basically you're gonig to be doing the same amount of work you would have in a regular tank. now if you like the shape of the cube & like the AIO style, keep it & do all that but if you're looking for a cheaper version of a reef tank that wont suit your needs.

I already have the expensive version (250G) :D.

What pump did you switch to? I may actually have a pump I can use already. Lights, I don't know, I don't think I would put corals in it. Did you add a skimmer?

pump for the BC 29 is usually a MJ1200 or equivalent plus 2 korlia nano 425's (for sps) most people use the biocube skimmr with the modder skimmer cup(also available from intank) or the tunze nano skimmer. some say you don't need it(myself included) for something that small but it can't hurt anything.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I love my BioCube! It's only 8 gallons but I love that little tank. There are some mods to do if it's a stock tank.

First thing to do is toss the BioBalls. InTank media rack is a popular item but you can get by without it. Skimmer depends on what you want to keep in the tank.

Return pump, MJ1200 or MJ900. In the 29 you will be ok with the 1200. In smaller cubes, the 20 Watts the 1200 uses, can cause heat issues. 900 is 1/2 the wattage @ 10 W's but only a difference of 60 GPH.

Ohh and false floor in chamber 1 has got to go!

You will soon find that water changes are a dream! ;)

Soft corals, LPS and Monti's do very well under the stock lighting.

Thanks guys for the tip about InTank, they seem to have good stuff for the BioCube. Why does the false floor have to go? Is chamber 1 the one where the filter pad is supposed to slide in ?

nice...i wish i had someone gift me a tank. I had to buy my bc29.

equipment:
maxi900
koralia nano
in-tank media basket (holds filter pad, purigen, chemi-clean)
tunze 9002 skimmer w upgraded intank cup.
then a heater i put in the first chamber.
I also have an osmolator set up to a 5g tank in the stand.
dj panel inside stand.

I have no light/cover. Looking to pick up a clamp-style light...not planning corals so the light is preference only.

can't answer the false floor question - my bc was already mod'd when i got it.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys for the tip about InTank, they seem to have good stuff for the BioCube. Why does the false floor have to go? Is chamber 1 the one where the filter pad is supposed to slide in ?

Yes, chamber 1 is where the stock filter pad slides in, step two after after tossing the bio balls, is to toss the stock filter pad/carbon insert and get some "cut to fit" filter pads. The floor in the first chamber is a detritus trap, by removing it, it is easier to clean and allows more room for a heater.

Be careful. I had one and it sprung a leak on me and with a little research i found it was a common problem. I do have to say that Oceanic has GREAT customer service and replaced it without an issue.

Bought and assembled the bio cube stand, currently test running the tank with tap water. I didn't get some of the filter type parts so there is a real impulse to fit media trays. I want some sort of skimmer, even if it's just a homemade air driven job, maybe a fuge as well.
My plan is to keep some of the small pistol shrimp/ goby pairs, maybe a couple jawfish and some other small inverts that would be lost in the big reef. Not really a reef but I'm sure some cnidarians will end up in there, I do not see enhancing the lighting (from stock) at this point.

Sort of off topic, but hey, I put my old 45g cichlid tank and stand out in the trash today and someone took it. Gave me a nice warm feeling, someone getting a hand with the hobby.