• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Biopellet reactor.

I have been using my bio pellet reactor incorrectly. I had accidentally plumbed it to the outlet, instead of the inlet the skimmer. It worked super well for nitrate, but my pumps kept slowing down. The biofilm from the bacteria constantly fowled the pumps and power heads. I just realized my error, and rerouted it to the inlet today. Hopefully this will alleviate the problems with the pumps.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Okay I am a visual person. Can you post a photo of the correct way to connect? Once I have a sump and an in sump skimmer, I will mostly set one up. Thanks!

image.jpg Find the part that is sucking water into the skimmer. Aim the outlet of the water from the reactor towards it. Just add pellets super slow. You will have to do something else for Po4. The BioPellets don’t help, might even make them go up a little. I use another reactor with gfo.

Biopellet work for both phosphates and nitrates.
There is a relationship between the 2 though that has to be present for both to be removed.
I don't remember the numbers however.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just by personal experience. My nitrates when’d way down. My phosphates actually went up a little. I believe the ratio theoretically, is 16 No3 to 1 Po4. Now that I have mine set up right with the skimmer, perhaps I’ll get a bit more benefit on the phosphates. Perhaps it was user error.

Last edited:
Just by personal experience. My nitrates when’d way down. My phosphates actually went up a little. I believe the ratio theoretically, is 16 No3 to 1 Po4. Now that I have mine set up right with the skimmer, perhaps I’ll get a bit more benefit on the phosphates. Perhaps it was user error.
Yeah you must have considerable nitrates to get the phosphate reducing benefits.
In the past when I used then I had to overfeed in order to get them to drop phosphates.

Yeah you must have considerable nitrates to get the phosphate reducing benefits.
In the past when I used then I had to overfeed in order to get them to drop phosphates.

Thanks. Very good info. Now that I’m skimming more efficiently, I’ll try to cut back on the gfo. phosphates weren’t an issue before the BioPellets. They shouldn’t have become one because of it.