• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bit of a disaster (& HC update)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As we pull into our driveway tonight, at 7:45, our neighbor informs us there's no power.
I ask him how long the powers been out, he says 'since about 9:30 this morning.
At just after 8pm power returns.

Taking stock of damage in main tank after 11 1/2 hours without power...
Filefish didn't make it
My large clown is not looking good
3 of the 5 frags I got in that $200 frag pack are goners
Most of the SPS in my 40 isn't very good.
Zoas have yet to open, but guessing they'll be fine.

Xenia tank is OK, including all fish.

Aaaannnnnndddd....
As I was messing obout with the skimmer I was running water levels high, so I've got a couple gallons of saltwater on the hardwood under the tank.

Oxygenating the main tank now and yelling encouraging things at it.

Happy Monday everyone!

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That’s one of my fears
I hope you get everything back.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I know the feeling well. Hope everything turns around and regains its life.

Sorry to hear, I worry myself about this.

I have been thinking of some battery backup for the powerhead ever since I got the tank, other option was a battery backup air pump that switches on with no AC power. Anyone have or set these up?

I guess we all have the same sentiment. Power loss is devastating. Hope you fully recover or at least as well as you can. I have been contemplating a generator but unless it turned on automatically wont help at all. Perhaps some sort of batter back up for the most important things. What would you all say that is.... The return pump.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have been thinking of some battery backup for the powerhead ever since I got the tank, other option was a battery backup air pump that switches on with no AC power.
Going to be looking into these options with the new tank.

Matt,
Same thoughts. Generator no good unless I'm here to turn it on.

If you still have the apex you can use float switches in your skimmer cup and other place to turn things off and it can tell you if the power is off. Also text you if something in not right.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I guess we all have the same sentiment. Power loss is devastating. Hope you fully recover or at least as well as you can. I have been contemplating a generator but unless it turned on automatically wont help at all. Perhaps some sort of batter back up for the most important things. What would you all say that is.... The return pump.

Matt, think return pump is not needed in this situation and may draw more power. I would say the heater and power head and maybe get more life out of the backup.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I agree. Powerheads first.

Another option to keep the water oxygenated is to use an oxydator. If power was out and couldn’t use my generator (and I was home), I would move my oxydator to the DT....

Matt, think return pump is not needed in this situation and may draw more power. I would say the heater and power head and maybe get more life out of the backup.

Problem is Heater is not in main display. It’s in basement sump. That’s why I figured return pump. So water would be heated. But your right. Need way to much power to run that pump with a battery