• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Black lights

black lights look kinda dim on the tank.... you can get 48" t12 black light bulbs at most home depots for like $15. i haven't tried it since i got some of the more neon looking corals, might be worth another try...

At the frag swap, there was a seminar on Coral Fluorescence, by Charles Mazel I believe. His findings were that very few corals fluoresce under black light, but that many do under certain blue light wavelengths. In fact, he's based a business around selling special blue flash lights with matched glasses for viewing coral fluorescence on your own. www.nightsea.com

Anyway, I suspect that you would be better off using blue LED's in your tank, than a black light.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And those blue LEDs that Wingo does seem to do the trick rather nicely!

that flashlight/glass's jobbie looks damn cool. incase anyone was wondering what they should get me for christmas.... hint hint....lol ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Let me tell you. It is way cooler than you can imagine.

Recently (as we were preparing to attend MACNA in Atlanta and our frag swap) we had a devastating tank crash that eliminated nearly all of the SPS from our system. During the weeks that have followed, as our system slowly recovers, I have been able to use my night-sea gear to more accurately track the progress of my tanks recovery. My Efflo along with a thumbnail size piece of what used to be huge green and orange caps, the only pieces that remain, have been interesting to watch with the nightsea gear. I wish I had had the stomach to take post crash nightsea photos to show the before and afters. Through the nightsea glasses and with the help of the flashlight, I've been able to see the increase in florescense of these pieces (even before their increasing health was visible to the naked eye). The tiny glimmer of hope that used to be my cap colonies looks more promising by the day. These bits of living cap were nearly impossile to distinguish from the dead without the nightsea. The efflo glows bright green again now, reaffirming the thoughts of "that looks a little better than yesterday, I think".

I highly recommend it! Definitely put it on your Holiday list!

wow, very sorry to hear about that devastating story, you're taking it alot more possitively than i think i would manage.... what caused the crash?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We can't really pin it down to anything in particular. We were very busy and tank maintenance suffered. We changed water, like we normally do, 20% at a time but with new salt. Maybe the corals didn't like the fast change? Maybe the water was too clean? too dirty? Temperature spike? Who knows.

Take up bee keeping or forge on. We chose to forge on. For now. I do have a hive I've been experimenting with though, just in case.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Corals need fish poop. Not feeding fish? No fish poop. No fish poop, no coral food. If the water is too clear then the light penetration increases. If this happens too fast the corals bleach. I don't know. Like I said, it could have been ANYTHING. When things died (which they seemed to do one at a time for torture's sake) they died one at a time. Oh look ... that's dead. Hey look. That bleached. Today it is throwing off the skin, ... etc. until the tips on the efflo started to go. Then we changed (gasp) 100% of our water in a day. Things got REMARKABLY better for the efflo and the other things stopped dying and started getting back their color.

Strange but true.

I'll keep you in mind should we get into honey production.

thank you everyone for the informative comments, i have multi black lights sitting around so i am going to try them. i will keep everyone posted on my results.