• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bleached Birdsnest

I have a birdsnest that bleached out
It bleached in my 20 gal but had been doing great in there for the past 7 months
All perameters are good
I moved it to my new system today hoping I could help it out by it being away from any possible chemical warfare in the small system
BirdsnestBleached.jpg

What can I do to save it?
or just give it time in the good conditions without any competition?

It is now in my 70
Cycle is complete and running carbon as a precaution
I have my solaris on 40% so I don't burn it

Do you have pictures of original color? Coral still looks very healthy to me. Corals do change color sometimes.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Two things I've seen do that to corals are too much light or not enough food (fish poop). Do you have either issue?

It should recover but give it time.
It will do that from not being to used the intensity of the light.
Decrease your lighting and time interval and start from placement on base of tank and slowly bring it up to a higher area of the tank.
Along with the intensity of the lighting.
Baby steps should work..

Phyl said:
Two things I've seen do that to corals are too much light or not enough food (fish poop). Do you have either issue?

This happend in my old tank
I moved it to get it away from any chen warfare
The lights are turned down to 40%

There was fish poop in the old tank
I'm going to spot feed it tonight
I'll see how it goes
Thanks

IHi, I remember seeing that one bleeched. I have had that happen as well. At first, I thought it was light intensity but moved it horizontally in the water column although to an area of lesser flow. Wala!!!!!!!!!! Mine came back.

I have a full sps tank and have had no problem with coral, other than with birdnest. For whatever reason my birdnest always see the same fate. Can't keep them. They start to die and my six lines don't help. They love eating the flesh off them. Can't understand it one bit.

Mgonz, I am in the same boat . I am lucky to have all my sps doing good and still cant keep a piece of birdsnest alive . My last attempt was a ora bird of paradise and I even managed to kill that. :'(

man I'm right there with you. Same thing. That was the last birdnest I will attempt. It was an expesive lesson. It did ok but just like the rest it to died.

I had total of four diff birdnest including both green ora and bird of paradise. I doubt I will ever try another birdnest again