• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bleaching

I am a new SPS keeper. I have a new frag of monti digi that is starting to bleach. Is there a way of stopping or reversing this action?
What should I be testing for?

My first thoughts would be it's getting too much light, or the water is too warm. Try moving it down to the bottom of your tank and then slowly moving it towards your desired spot. Also test your water and make sure your parameters are good. I'm sure there are a lot of others that could give you better advice, but I would check these first.

C

concept3

digitatas are susceptible to low dKH.  They start to bleach in water below 7dKH, in my experience.  Check that too along with the rest of the water parameters.

You can stop the frag from bleaching further by applying a little frag glue on the affected parts, or fragging the bleached parts completely.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

C

concept3

Dan, the cyanoacrylate super glue gel that you find in hobby stores works perfect. i buy the smallest ones for about $1.25, and they last me a good 25-30 frags when I make new batches of frags. They are also great for minimizing STN on a frag caused by another coral burning it, or other things. It's worked 4 out of 6 times for me so far, and they either stopped the STN or slowed it down enough to recover.

Bleaching is mainly caused by too strong of a light source (zooxanthellae gets expelled or somethin' like that), that would probably be the main culprit, followed by the dKH I mentioned.

alistair your frag is bleaching or stn?? if is dying do what merv told you, just apply a bit of blue in the affected areas, but if is just bleaching lower it in your tank, and i third what they said, check your water parameters

Gabriel

dkh - a measurment of Alkalinity -
I dont agree with what Merv has said, although I'm almost positive your problem has to do with Alkalinity.
Merv, I run my tank at around 6.5 dkh and I know it has dropped below 6.0 a couple of times with no ill effects. BTW - I dose a ton of DIY Bionic.
If you run a tank at 9 - 10 dkh and you let it drop below 7, bleaching and other terrible things will happen.

I just realized I'm responding to a very old post, but apparently someone is interested, so I will keep going.

It easy to see how new reefers can be running a high alk. If you use Instant Ocean salt, the dkh will be around 11 dkh, if you dont pay attention to it, or make changes too quickly to the system, alk will change and bad things happen.

Thanks Hef!

My problem doesn't have to do with bleaching exactly. My problem is that the polyps on all my digis suddenly 'pulled in.'

Everything else (Frogspawn, GSP, anemone's, candy cane, and a wide variety of softies and zoos) in the tank (120 g with 30g sump) are all doing well. It's just the digis.

My alk tests fine. (Sorry, my Red Sea test kit only reads low, normal and high, I don't have a specific number)

Any idea of what (else) could cause the polyps to withdraw?

Too much direct water flow would cause that. All the other corals in your system seem to be softies or LPS. Digis (SPS) are a little more pickey about water quality.
How long have they been in your tank? Did you change anything lately, Pumps - lighting or salt.

eholceker

NJRC Member
hoesntly i would look for predation or some type of chemical reaction? are there still polyps on the bleached out part? What kind o ffish do you have? flame angel by any chance?

In answer to the posts of Hef and eholceker...

My lighting is getting towards the end of its lifespan. Other than that, I think everything else (with the exception noted below) has remained constant. I will purchase new bulbs and let you know if it has any impact. It may be another week until I have a chance to do this though.

I did recently add a Flame Angel and a Six Line Wrasse to the tank. Honestly, I can't remember which came first, the polyps pulling in or the addition of the Flame Angel. Why would a Flame Angel cause a problem for the digi's?