• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BLOWN BALLAST

Hey somehow one of breakers in the room the tank is in flipped and must have blown one of the ballast that controls my actinic bulbs.

Anyone have any clue where how and how much its gonna cost to fix. I just got the new zoas and with all good comes bad. So if anyone has any advice let me know

Its a 36 inch aquatinics fixture 5 t-5's. I was thinking about trying to find out from chris about getting a ice cap ballast and over driving the fixture if its about the same as the other ballast.

Let me know thanks guys.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Defitely try Chris, but I got a replacement ballast from Trop for my CF fixture. You could check with them.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I'd say try to call the company see if it under warrenty. I'm not sure if an IceCap ballest can be wired into one of those.

Its def not under warranty. Ill call tropiqurium tommorow i wonder how i find out what kinda ballast its uses with out taken it apart.

I wonder its if its worth it to just get a new fixture.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It was 85 to buy a new ballast. We definitely thought twice, but ended up replacing it anyway.

spoke to chris im going to call him tommorow.

I hope that aquatnics is open tommorow to tell me how much it is to fix the fixture. If anything ill buy the tek light 6 bulb fixture and sell this one for like 200.

Hey Panama matt wanna switch fixtures now? lol

Why not just get a Advance T5 ballast from one of our sponsors? they are only Like $50 depending on where you get it. ??? You'll pay double at Trop

Im hanging on for an answer to phyls question id rather not wait for it to be shipped.

If the ballast has to be replace since its an internal ballast i might get the fixture fixed and get a replacement in the mean time.

I keep wanting to try the tek lights. Also if anything aquatinics is about an hour away in CT, i might drive up there monday if they can fix the fixture.

Phyl,
Yes TFJ carries them and I believe they are in stock.

Reefernets,
If you got a Advance ballast it's the same one that Sunlight Supply Tek lights use in their fixtures and retros.

PM sent, only one problem the ballast is internally mounted so its needs to be replaced with the same Ballast.

As of right now im running two actinic white bulbs and one blue plus.

Im gonna hold off tll monday and call aquatinics, im off on monday so if anything ill take a ride up if they can fix it. Much better then doing it my self or buyin a new fixture. If i can sell those corals and the rbta. ill def pick up the sunlight fixture.

Keeps your eyes out for used 36inch fixtures in our area.

I'd suggest (only if the fixture isn't under warranty) opening the fixture and seeing what brand ballast is in there also check to see if there is a fuse on the ballast (some do) and it could be something as simple as just changing a fuse

They are workhouse 5 ballast.

I spoke with some very helpful people today. I got in touch with the owner of aquatinics and i have a 7 oclock appointment in North Haven to get new ballast and new recflectors and a new 3 year warranty put in for a very good price. Good thing im off monday.

Im also trying to find ot if Deepwater Lobster Resturant is still open in Avon Ct.
Thank you all for you help

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but the Workhorse 5 and 7 ballasts can normally be found at home lighting stores. (and sometimes Lowes and HD)