• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blue Linckia study

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Spent some time at the top of the tank, which had me concerned, but back at being beautiful now. Tank is a 120 and over a year old. Given their "known" diet I wouldn't try this species with anything smaller of newer.

IMG_20190713_115917.jpg

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
That's why it is in quotes... nobody is 100% sure. LiveAquaria will tell you clam or tablets....some say Asteria Stars...most say bacteria that grows on your rockwork and why you shouldn't have them in new or small systems or they'll starve. Thus far I haven't been able to get him to eat anything spot fed so I am currently in the rock bacteria camp.

Bought a linkia Star when I unknowingly shouldn’t have....tank was 4 months old and had fish in it for two. Two years later it’s bigger and beautiful and grabs everyone’s attention.

radiata

NJRC Member
I think "biofilm" is the term used in early Blue Linkia descriptions. (Curiously enough, an example of biofilm is your very own dental plaque!)

Here's some anecdotal data for you: Twenty-odd years back I had a friend who ran a part-time importing and wholesale business. (Pick up a shipment from the airport on Sunday night and acclimate ~ fax an availability list during the week to his retailers ~ deliver the fauna on Saturday, and all while having a full time job.) He had many tanks in his basement, and the upper rear corner of one got some accidental direct sunlight every morning. A Blue Linkia lived in the algae in that tank corner for over 5 years. Which, unfortunately, begs more questions than it answers...

Only time it reacted to any food was when I received baby brine from algae barn; it came to the top and extended two arms out into the water column. That's the only time I’ve seen it reach like that. The package of brine lasted a few days and it reacted like that several times. Otherwise, travels all around the tank, contorting itself under racks and in rock crevices, even bear-hugs the heater on occasion. Bio-film, diatoms, algae, pods-no idea, but I got lucky. The kids love it.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Try adding BRS reef chili to your tank and see what happens. Although a different star, my serpent star goes nuts when I put some of that into my tank.

Just a random thought

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mine are the mini dtars, Denis and anthelia. Also. Algae and other stuff. Dinos I had lost it but will get another in 6 months.