• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blue Long Tentacle Anemone or another species?

Hey guys,

I saw a smaller (3-5") anemone at one of the pet stores the other day and the worker had no idea what type it was. He also could not give me a price. His answer was "ask my owner" to both questions.

I did some goggling, but I could not find any blue species of anemone accept for a carpet anemone. I'm considering buying it, but I wanted to know what it's requirements were before I jumped in and to be honest, I don't trust the LFS to really give me the real name.

I've just finished nursing my BTA from a complete bleached small nothing (2") to a great 5"-6" beast that is thriving after 8-9 months of healing. So, now I feel like I could care for something a little tougher and more exotic.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

081209_1632-vi.jpg

I agree, it's not a carpet.. and I have no problem with going elsewhere but I need to know what it is first.. ???

This place is normally way overpriced, and I know that they have a major ich outbreak, so I would need to figure out how to QT an anemone anyway.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I read some where few months back that some nems were being injected with dye. So do much research first.

Looks like a condy or condilactus. No clue of the right spelling here. But I think clowns usually don't tend these

if the guy didnt know its name, or what to even charge for it i wouldnt trust him to safely remove its foot from the tank without damaging it.

Nickjr000 said:
Looks like a condy or condilactus. No clue of the right spelling here. But I think clowns usually don't tend these

i dunno if it is a condy or not - maybe barry can chime in - but i can say that clowns do not live in condylactis anemones because condy's live in the atlantic and clowns live in the pacific/indian oceans. :)

That stated - i've personally had a maroon clown force itself upon a condy (which in the wild are fish eaters).

These are pics from my old 55:
marooncondi2.jpg

marooncondi.jpg

marooncondi3.jpg

Hawkeye thanks for the layup. Its actually a faded purple long tentacle anemone. Feed it and put it in the sand. It will color up to a deep purple with feedings and time.

That is the only clownfish that could probably do that but its def a condy and maroons are NASTY.

I don't care what people say about maroon clowns temperaments. I have two pair in different tanks. One pair is only housed with a Cardinal fish and no anemone. No aggression what so ever.
I also have a pair in my 150. Housed with many tank mates and a host anemone. She is about the sweetest fish I have ever seen. She is large about 5". The little twerp male is about an 1 1/2" . He tries to attack the magnate if I come close to his lair.

I am not positive but I don't think mine were captive bred. One I bought from Animals and things. Then I ordered a mated pair and a juvenile from Saltwaterfish.com or somewhere. I mated the large female with the juvenile I bought with the mated pair and it worked out.

IMO, I attribute the non aggressive behavior to being raised without tank mates while they grew to maturity. They were basically were the only fishes in the tank. They did not need to learn that aggressive behavior. It was all their territory. So once fishes were added to the tank the maroons were very secure fish. No fish bothers them and they have no problem with the neighbors. Even during feedings they are well behaved. They are aggressive feeders but do not chase away any other fish. The meanest fish I have is a six inch purple tang in that tank. The clown and the tang have never had a problem with each other that I know of.

When I say they are very sweet fish I am not exaggerating. I compare both my larges females temperament to my orange shoulder tang or algae blenny. Maybe I am just lucky but I love those fish. I think it is how they were raised and without other tank mates.

I'll offer my exp on maroons - (sorry for the hijack)

The maroon i had did not display aggression in the sense that it did not bother any of my other fish. Like a trigger or puffer fish it was delightful to have her approach you for food and eat pretty much anything.

However - it beat the heck out of that condylactis anemone (ripped off tentacles - you can see the stubs on the right side in the pics above) and was constantly digging a nest out causing major sand storms. She would take her large mouth and latch on to a piece of LR then drive her body into the sand and furiously push. Since she couldn't push the LR - her tail generated all this force causing the sand to fly about. Mind you this was not tiny sand - this was florida crushed coral that flew about. She also ate (bizarre) all the GSP we had in the tank. I think this was all because we had a possessed maroon.

We had to return her to the LFS because of her "aggression". Then we picked up a baby ORA "nemo" clownfish. This clownfish charmingly lived a peaceful life inside our 25 head frogspawn.