• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Borneman's recipe

Just wanted everyone to know that the Borneman coral recipe is pretty good stuff. It took me about two days of running to finally find all of the required ingredients, but it made a HUGE batch of food. After pouring the mix into plastic bags to freeze, I took some saltwater and washed out the blender I used. I then poured that into the tank. Needless to say, the tank got REALLY cloudy, and the skimmer went CRAZY. The next morning the house smelled like I was cycling the tank with shrimp. Then whole first floor reaked of fish stank. But after cheching things out, it was just a smelly skimmate collector. The tank, all fish and all coral look MUCH better. I'm going to continue using it every night and see how things go. If anyone local want to make some and doesn't want to go all over tarnation to find all the ingredients I have lots of leftovers.

Off the top of my head......

6 shrimp
12 oysters
12 clams
12 mussels
1 container of urchin
1 container of fish roe
various algaes - nori, and their "cousins"
a powdered antioxidant from a health food store
Selcon
flake food
pellet food
cyclopeze
frozen mysis
naptulii <-sp?

your blend some of it, soak some of it and thaw some of it, then mix it all up and freeze it.

It's in Borneman's "Corals" book, and also on RC in the (now locked) Coral forum.

C

concept3

where did you get the Urchin? The eggs were used I presume....

momof6kids

NJRC Member
***If anyone local want to make some and doesn't want to go all over tarnation to find all the ingredients I have lots of leftovers.***

I'm in Bridgewater, where are you? I have been blending a mix of shrimp, squid, scallops, frozen mysis, and flake food and have noticed a difference. I would be willing to try making up this mix.

A mom of SIX kids..... WOW :eek: I don't even know where to start with that one.....

I'm off Milltown Road, kinda behind Wegman's. Feel free to pm me on RC or fragexchange as the same name (GH).

FYI - I may be mistaken, but I think I read somewhere that either squid or scallops are no good to feed a tank.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
sort of multiplied like rabbits, or fish tanks ;D

Cool, I go down there to Wegmans and Home Depot about 5 min. from my house.

Really? let me know which one I am not supposed to put in my tank.

C

concept3

grasshopper said:
The eggs I got at TRI. A whole package for like 5 bucks. The unrchin I got at a sushi restaurant.

How does an egg get "used"?

LOL I meant the urchin eggs were used......not the urchin itself. just got that :)

C

concept3

aaarghhh... you threw out the eggs? they're the best part for making Uni-sushi mmmmmmmmm.... I love Uni-sushi, tastes like butta.

I agree, Uni-sushi is great stuff.

I didn't throw anything out. I went to a sushi place, asked for some urchin for a fishtank. After spending some time telling the employees that yes I actually was going to feed the urchin to a fish tank they all laughed at me.... ??? :-[ then one guy went in the back and came out with some mushed up urchin in a little container. I didn't really inspect it all too close to see if there were eggs in it.