• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Breaking Down Trouble......

Planning to break down my whole setup and was thinking of the easiest way to to move everything out. So my question is, how hard is it to take down a french door (sliding door - not sure if it's the right term) and put it back on without causing any damage. I do see several screws that can be easily unscrew but just wasn't sure if that would be about it. Anyone had any experience taking and putting back on sliding glass door? Thanks,

-Sam

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I might be wrong, but most sliding doors can be removed from the track just by lifting them up and popping the bottom of the door out and lowering it out of the top track. The frames and tracks are usually installed separately of the door itself.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt, you’re aging yourself. Both of you are right. The older, cheaper doors (guessing up into the mid 80’s) you could just lift them out of their tracks. The newer doors, James is correct, there is a hole, typically on the bottom edge (and somethimes top too) of the door where you put in a screwdriver to lower/raise the guide wheels. The fixed door is just held in with a few screws.

Depends on the brand. The wheel adjustment "the hole with a screw in it, might have a little cover over it you twist out" this is just to raise and lower the door a bit to adjust the margin on the frame. Anderson has a thin 1/2x1" strip along the inside head of the door frame you take off with 8 or so screws. after you do hold the door because it will fall right out. now just lift it off the bottom track of the frame.

Why do you have to take the door out, your tanks that big?

You might be able to cheat and get a few extra inches if thats all you need. On the inside top corner of frame ( side where door opens to ) is there like a 5" block with 1-2 screws? If so you can take that and the handle off and the door will open all the way.

Where you located?

Good luck

Why you breaking it down?

Once I get my 60G up and running, I'm not sure what to do with my 29G. I need to get rid of it. Break it down and sell or leave it running with the some live rock and crushed coral and maybe a soft coral or two and sell it while still running. Would be an easy setup - READY TO GO!