• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Breeding clowns

Salted

NJRC Member
So my clowns moved out of their usual sleeping spot and cleared out a new burrow between some rocks. Noticed the male really attacking the fire shrimp yesterday at feeding time. Took a closer look today while checking on my new red mandarin and looks like loads of eggs attached to the rocks. Guess the fry will be food for the tank as I currently have no intention of trying to raise them. I’m hoping that at least this means I’m taking good care of them and the tank.

Attachments

• C471F38D-F44D-4B05-8FB9-F1D1E8F8DDAC.jpeg
    C471F38D-F44D-4B05-8FB9-F1D1E8F8DDAC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 83A74DEB-668A-47EC-B165-E5C894384F74.jpeg
    83A74DEB-668A-47EC-B165-E5C894384F74.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 3F896CA5-0559-46A0-B4FD-9A628DA5E619.jpeg
    3F896CA5-0559-46A0-B4FD-9A628DA5E619.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So my clowns moved out of their usual sleeping spot and cleared out a new burrow between some rocks. Noticed the male really attacking the fire shrimp yesterday at feeding time. Took a closed look today while checking on my new red mandarin and looks like loads of eggs attached to the rocks. Guess the fry will be food for the tank as I currently have no intention of trying to raise them. I’m hoping that at least this means I’m taking good care of them and the tank.
That’s for sure...

eholceker

NJRC Member
Those eggs are atleast 4 days old. You can see the silver and eyes on some of the fry. They will hatch between days 8 and 12 when the lights go out.

So my clowns moved out of their usual sleeping spot and cleared out a new burrow between some rocks. Noticed the male really attacking the fire shrimp yesterday at feeding time. Took a closer look today while checking on my new red mandarin and looks like loads of eggs attached to the rocks. Guess the fry will be food for the tank as I currently have no intention of trying to raise them. I’m hoping that at least this means I’m taking good care of them and the tank.
lol. not necessarily! i had a breeding pair in a tank i usually neglected. i dont put much value in "spawning fish" to determine the condition of a tank. wind blows, the sun shines. things do what they do and when love is in the air, not much else matters. :) you should try to raise the fry if you have time. its fun. definitely frustrating when you fail but rewarding if you can pull it off.

Salted

NJRC Member
Those eggs are atleast 4 days old. You can see the silver and eyes on some of the fry. They will hatch between days 8 and 12 when the lights go out.
Guess I'll start watching come Fri/Sat, I mean I am interested and think this is cool, just no way I can do what's required to try to raise any right now. If someone here is prepared I'd be happy to try to net some up ( @Wilson ?), I do have a net box I could hold them in. I'd love to try myself in the future. For now they'll be snacks. Hope they're good treats for the mandarin in addition to all the pods I've been adding preparation. Lost my rainsford gobi this morning so I need some cheering up.

Salted

NJRC Member
no ****. i had to move the clowns cause they attacking my expensive tangs. i got a nice 15 g tank fluval w stand $150
The male aggressively going after the shrimp is the first misbehavior I've seen of either of them towards anything and I hope it doesn't continue. I like them but they would be removed. I'd like to do a 40b nem tank but that's not happening any time soon. Maybe when they hatch he'll calm down? Would disrupting them when they start to build a nest/lay eggs be an option?

once they mate, they will attack anything that comes close to their nest. if you move them to a separate tank, they will continue to breed. just get something put them in and put in like a clay pot. they will inhabit that and lay eggs in there