• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brian's 225g Monstrosity is Now 180 gallons of FUN!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Re: Brian's 225g Monstrosity!

I pulled out about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket full of the caulpera...started dosing vodka and added a rabbit fish (foxface).

I can't really tell if anything is happening yet, other than the fox face hasn't touched one bit of the macro...so i guess time will tell.

Hey Brian,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Now I know what you bought at AO when you called. ;)

If you need a hand with the canopy, give me a call.

Maybe if you hold me by the ankles and lower me into the tank I can get the stuff on the bottom. ;D

Hang in there, I know you can get this under control.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

If it ain't one thing it's another "a" buddy?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Brian. I think I found a good solution to all kinds of algae. I picked up this Sea Hare from Trop today ($70). He's 6 to 8 inches or bigger. I have a few pieces of large rock in my tank with hair algae on them.
I put this thing in my tank on the rock with the hair and other kinds of algae on it. In the second pic, he started shooting out this purple dye. (I might have squeezed him too hard).
Right now, he's cleaning a 2 foot rock. Looks like he might have it cleaned in a few days, then into my other tank to clean the back wall. You're first in line to keep him feed after me.
Sorry about the bad pics. Was in a hurry so used the point and shoot.

001.jpg

005.jpg

022.jpg

008.jpg

In the last pic, look at the rock with the flash on. That whole rock was covered with algae. He cleaned it in about 10 minutes.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Paul. He is about the size of Shrek too.

Cool Mike, that thing is a beast, he's big enough to put a collar on him, then you can use a leash and take him for walks and rides in the car ;D

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

I'm gonna rent him out by the week. ;D

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

I always forget about those things....That just could be the remedy I'm looking for!!

Unbelievable!!!!!

Brian you should start over feeding your tank to see if you could grow that thing to like 15 inches. You could have the first ever Sea Hare Tank.

Does it have the blue rings mike?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Will that thing eat caulerpa too? or does it just go after hair algae?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Hasn't knocked anything over yet.

John I don't have any caulerpa around to try feeding him some. I guess I should get some and try feeding it to him before we get our hopes up. He ate that leafy stuff off the rock (briopsy).
He's at the top of the tank now cleaning the algae ring around the rim.
He only cleaned half the rock and went to the glass at night.