• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brine Shrimp Feeding Question

I have started a culture of brine shrimp and have read how they can be fed yeast. I have the dry activated yeast, but no info on how to feed it. Do you feed dry or attempt to culture it in water?
The final objective is to have a steady food source for dwarf seahorses that I plan to purchase, hopefully, in the near future.
Has anybody done this or seen threads on this subject?
Thanks Greg
post-5273-1141353909_thumb.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good luck with the steady supply. The best bet for feeding for feeding dwarf seahorses is constantly hatching fresh brine daily.

You are aware that the dwarfs full grown are 1 inch in size maximum? It is difficult for them to eat adult size brine shrimp.

1 single dwarf seahorse can consume upwards of 3,000 newly hatched brine a day.

If you haven't done so already, may I recommend getting " The Complete Guide to Dwarf Seahorses" by Allisa Abbott.

Also dwarfs have a lot of special requirements that differ from the larger species. For one LR and LS are not adviseed for use in a dwarf tank due to the high possibilty of introducing hydroids and amphipods that can and will kill dwarfs.

If you have any specific questions regarding seahorses, feel free to contact me. I have been keeping both dwarfs and the larger species for 3 years and have some experience. Also if you check out www.seahorse.org , they have a forum dedicated to specifically keeping dwarf seahorses.

I appreciate your concerns and I am a member of www.seahorse.org. I just have not found a answer to the yeast culture. I hatch daily and also feed other fish and expect to have wild Hippocampus hudsonius or  H. erectus.
pic of my home made shrimp hatchery

Aqua%20Pod%201%20078.JPG

I appreciate your offer for advice.
How long have you kept dwarfs?
Greg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have been keeping dwarfs for 2 years and the larger species for just over 3.

The problem with the yeast based foods is that they will foul the water if you add too much. Also it needs to be blended really well to make the particles small enough for the brine to ingest.

I personally use PhytoPlan by Two Little Fishies to feed and enrich my brine.

BTW, H hudsonius and H erectus are the same species.