• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BRS taking over Marine depot

Nothing against BRS, I'm marine depot guy. Great service, and faster shipping! What you guys think about this merger?

D

Deleted member 27248

Last 4 orders from marine depot were either broken or missing items. I buy local.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Less competition is never a good thing. BRS was bought out by a venture capital firm not too long ago so I can't venture this is going to be good for the hobbyist.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I buy all my reef supplies from amazon.
Amazon is cheap and fast. I get what I need delivered to my door next day.

Apex and kessil products I purchase at BRS because
They keep a good record of all my purchases and that comes in handy when I need support.

I don’t think I have ever purchased anything from
Marine depot. I didn’t like their website.

I’m bummed I order everything form Marine Depot. Just ordered my Neptune gro light from them. Thank goodness I used my points before they close.

It's always a bad sign when competition starts to go away. Probably not a good thing for the hobbyists as it usually means the company can set whatever price they feel like setting bc of no competition.

Salted

NJRC Member
I did a pre-order of the new Hanna high range nitrate checker from Marine Depot. Wonder who it will end up coming from.

I tend to buy mostly from BRS or local stores. I've never had an issue with BRS. Shipping has always been fine for me. I rarely need things in a rush and don't mind the few days it generally takes to deliver.

Sad to see competition go down but am also curious if they will now make an east (and west) side warehouse and cut that shipping time this way by a good bit. Likewise to see if they will continue the product lines at Marine Depot. I see they have said they will continue aquamaxx. Guess nothing to do but see how this goes.

radiata

NJRC Member
I'm going to miss Marine Depot and their alternate warehouse site on the East Coast. If I was in a hurry to get something, Marine Depot was the way to go. Shipping from Minnesota to NJ isn't especially fast as they use UPS to ship to your local Post Office, and then have the Post Office deliver it to your doorstep. When I first read of the "merger" I wrote to BRS' Customer Support asking how many sites they would be shipping from. Their reply was that it would be their single site in Minnesota. I'll be using Saltwater Aquarium (SaltwaterAquarium.com | Marine Reef & Freshwater Supplies) from now on when I need something fast. Gettysburg, PA to NJ has only taken two days.

It's a shame that most (or worse yet, all) of Marine Depot's employees are heading to their respective unemployment offices. Calling this a "merger" is a travesty of the English language. This is nothing more than a well designed competitor assassination to increase BSR's market share. Welcome to the world of really big time capitalism...