• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BTA Behavior

I finally got some time to myself last night as my wife went to go see the No Doubt/Paramore concert. So I plant on the couch around 7-ish, crack a beer and play a little SOCOM on PS3. Between that time and 8:00, my BTA went from being huge, full and happy with my Gold Banded Maroon swimming in and out of the tentacles to this flat, angel hair pasta looking lifeless thing. It wasn't inside out like I have heard some of them do at times. It just looked lifeless. I immediately tested everything and everything seemed normal. At this point the lights where still on and I decided to let it sit till morning. I know....bold move considering that they have the ability to pollute the tank when they pass. Anyways, I wake up this morning and check it out and it looked mostly normal again. Almost as full as it was. The tentacles were plump and waving in the current again. Is this normal for these guys? Possible splitting behavior?

Thanks Mike. Reason I ask is because the last one I had did the same thing after 3 months and never recovered from the "fake death". I knew that the turning itself almost inside out was normal but not this. I appreciate the feedback. Do think it does it because my GBMC is constantly in it and moving around?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sometimes they irritate it. Sometimes the BTA just wants to relax.

When it was "relaxed" Mator was still trying to lay in it. Should I attempt to keep Mator out of it when this relaxation happens?

Don't worry about it. Like Mike said completely normal. Make sure you call me 856-371-1090 before you decide to put it in the trash. Anemones do some strange things. In order for it to pollute your tank it would have to rot and you leave it in there. Don't worry about it. Make sure you don't feed it to much. If you overfeed food can sit in it and rot. I only feed mine every couple weeks.

BILL

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
It may have just been taking a number 2. When anems need to expel waste they can become real small like that. As long as they recover, everything is fine. The only other thing I would check is temperature.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks and so far, I have not directly fed it because Mator has been bringing food to it every other day. Thats ok, right?

Yes that is ok. And like others have mentioned, this is very normal behaviour. That said, for some reason it always makes me nervous when mine does the same thing, and it has done it probably 30 times in the last 6 months.

IMHO, doing nothing is the best thing you can do.

i would feed it - thawed cut up shrimp or cut-up silversides. I wouldn't do it frequently since it can be sustained just from photosynthesis. But I side with the idea that if it has a mouth, why not feed it?

BTA Anemone are strange and can act just the same. Typically they will go from bulb tentacles to elongated tentacles when hungry. Lighting is very important and I wouldn’t go less than 5watts per gallon.

My RBTA is open all day everyday and rests when the lights go out. I also have a maroon clown which hosts the anemone, so I only feed it twice a month with silverside which I debone.

I would target feed it a meaty product and watch how it bulbs up, as long as you have enough light and clean water chill.

Hawkeye said:
i would feed it - thawed cut up shrimp or cut-up silversides. I wouldn't do it frequently since it can be sustained just from photosynthesis. But I side with the idea that if it has a mouth, why not feed it?

That statement is not true at all.. They need to eat meat. You can get away with only feeding every couple weeks but they need to eat. Check out this site. Karen knows a great deal about anemones.

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

Rod Buehle (Rod's Food) is active on one of the boards.  IMO he has some of the most beautiful and extensive collection of anenome's. 

He has always been helpful in answering mine and others questions, and you can receive a lot of information just by reviewing his previous posts.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=354071

He discusses silversides/fish feeding in this post, and also provides a wealth of other information.

Plus he has numerous pics of some of his nems.

Anemones do not NEED to eat. They dont NEED to be fed. The reasons why anemones have a mouth is so that it can inflate itself with water. They can eat but they get most of their energy from the algea in them.

Anemones will sometimes almost completely deflate when they are getting acclimated to your water. Looks ugly. My gigantea carpet much like rod buelers never completely deflates itself. When it poops it will only deflate a small section where the food was being stored inside the body.

I would leave it be and keep a close eye. Feed it mysis shrimp every couple days. In the ocean anemones dont get half a silverside, if a dead fish that small is floating somehting get to it before it hits the anemone.

Can you provide documetation stating you don't need to feed anemones. I would hate for a new person to read your post and agree with you. There is a great deal more the ocean can provide these creatures that our tanks can't.

RBU it is general knowledge, just like its general knowledge that corals dont NEED to eat.

Thats why these animals have Zooxanthella, because that is what produces the energy they need to survive. through photo synthesis they produce food.

Heres a little test

Anemone A - in a tank with no light but gets fed - will die after the Zooxanthella algea in its body stops producing energy and dies off.
Anemone B - in a tank with light but no food - will live because the Zooxanthella will still produce energy for it to survive off of. It may not grow huge but it will live.

I didnt say that anemones should never be fed, i said they dont NEED to be fed. Feeding is what people do when they need to suppliment the lack of light or just want to quickly grown an anemone. I really dont need to provide documentation for a common thing, Im sure we can agree that you dont need to feed anemones or corals, but you can feed them. Its actually one of problems with newly aquired anemones is that people try to feed them when they are not ready to accept food.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Zooxanthelia produces glycogen as a waste product that the host may use as an energy source. They can live off this for some time. However, they do need protein and fats to grow which are not available from the zooxanthelia. So they must eat meaty foods to get these nutrients to let them grow and survive. They do need to eat...maybe not the frequency most are feeding them, but they do need it.

Guys you are still missing the point, from how every talks about anemones you would think they need to be fed twice a day, everday. They dont NEED to be fed. Most anemones often perish from being fed. The food is too big and rots inside the anemone.

I have a 16 inch across gigantea carpet and i dont feed it. If it catches some mysis or krill or whatever im feeding my fish thats good enough for it.

I just posted some info for everyone on, the whole feeding the anemone thing is a little over blown, many people lose anemones from feedings gone wrong.

Sea anemones that are host to clownfishes, like many tropical actinians and some temperate ones, harbour unicellular algae within the cells of their tentacles and oral disc (see Introduction). A portion of the sugars produced by these plants through photosynthesis are "leaked" to their host. This may be the anemone's major source of energy. The widely flared oral disc of many host actinians serves not only to accommodate fish, but its large surface area is well adapted for intercepting sunlight.

However, actinians, like all coelenterates, capture and digest animal prey with their nematocysts. We have found small fish, sea urchins, and a variety of crustaceans (shrimps and crabs) in the coelenteron of host anemones. They also appear to feed on planktonic items conveyed by the currents. Although the energy they derive from photosynthesis may be sufficient to live, the anemones need sulfur, nitrogen, and other elements in order to grow and reproduce. These animals are not voracious predators: their prey probably consists of animals that bump into them (e.g. a fish fleeing a more active predator) or stumble over them (e.g. a sea urchin, which has no eyes). Therefore, the supply is probably small and irregular. A more predictable source of these nutrients may be from wastes of their symbiotic fish. This issue deserves to be studied scientifically. Anemones of some species are capable of absorbing nutrients directly from seawater through their thin tissues, and that may be another source of nutrition for these animals as well.

Ok we could debate this till we are both blue in the face. But if you do some research most of, if not all will tell you to feed them.