• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble algae and peroxide dip

Rueric

NJRC Member
Hi all,

I have an indo torch with some bubble algae growing on the base of the frag plug..
Is it safe to dip just the base of the frag plug and part of the skeleton in some 50/50 3% peroxide dip to get rid of the bubble algae? will that hurt the torch at all?
Or.. do I just take the frag plug and scrape off the bubble algae outside of the tank?

Thanks!

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I scrape then dip mine- hope you caught it early- I ended up using vibrant and moving my macro out of the tank for a few weeks- or get an emerald crab- I plan to

Emerald crabs are kinda like that dingbat brother in law. They may have their uses when you need to move or need something done...but generally they just screw things up and p you off!! I have had to suicide 3 of them because I wanted them to solve my algae problems. Not only did they not touch my nuisance algae, they took up residence in my torch and frogspawn. I vowed never again.

To be clear...suicided 3 crabs..not brother in laws.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Never had problems with Emeralds and they are always part of my CUC. Currently have 2 in my 30g, no worries.
The bad rep they get seems to be due to the fact that a lot of shops sell Gorilla Crabs as Emeralds.
Emeralds eat algae (and love bubble algae). Gorrilas eat corals.
They look very similar, major difference is that Gorillas have black ends on their legs (and may have some small spikey points coming off back legs), Emeralds are all green.
Petco in Brick has true Emeralds for something like $6, it's where I always get mine from.

Edit, just found this:

Wasnt my issue. Mine were true emeralds (judging by the black tipped criteria) and they liked my euphyilla better than my bubble algae.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hesitant to get an emerald crab.. I heard they feed on Zoas..
I'll do the scraping, thanks all!
I thinks it’s important to have a balance eco-system of crabs and snails to clean the tank. I use emeral crabs in every tank. I also keep fox face they eat a lot of algae. I would even say more than any tang.

I thinks it’s important to have a balance eco-system of crabs and snails to clean the tank. I use emeral crabs in every tank. I also keep fox face they eat a lot of algae. I would even say more than any tang.
If i could just find a fish that would eat Ulva (sea lettuce)!!

I checked this guy before putting him in. Bought from Petco. I must say he did 1 he’ll of a job

Attachments

• 939854F0-2B2D-4377-955C-8F3C1958762F.jpeg
    939854F0-2B2D-4377-955C-8F3C1958762F.jpeg
    727.8 KB · Views: 4