• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble algae - Brightwell Aquatics Razor

ctg0209

NJRC Member
So my tank was being overrun with bubble algae so I added a few emerald crabs because I had always heard they love bubble algae. My experience wasn’t that great. From what I could tell they were just popping the bubbles and releasing the liquid and creating more bubbles. I decided to just build new rock structures, cure them, and replace the rock in the tank. During this time I saw a video I think on YouTube and very briefly they mentioned they used brightwell aquatics razor to treat for bubble algae. After doing some research I decided to give it a shot.

I did the recommended 6 day dose and didn’t really notice anything. A couple days later I noticed a couple bubbles free floating around the sand bed about a week after I finished dosing the tank I started seeing some of the bubbles deflated and losing their color. I decided to do a big water change to remove whatever excess nutrients were in the water due to the bubble popping. I’m about 2 weeks out since I dosed the tank and I’d say about 75% of the bubbles are gone completely. The rest has all completely lost it’s color and is deflating. I even notice the powder blue tang picking at some of the dead bubbles.

I haven’t noticed many adverse reactions to coral, inverts and fish however my torch coral has retracted quite a bit since then. I can’t say definitively that it’s because of the razor. Last night I did see an emerald crab hanging off the base of the coral. I have a sand sifting star fish and a clam that have not shown any signs of stress. My sps and the rest of my lps are doing quite well. I’ve done 2 water changes since I dosed the tank. Overall I’m thrilled with this product. Hopefully if anyone on here is struggling with fighting bubble algae this will help

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I used vibrant and got rid of all the bubble algae.
I also have emerald crabs to eat what’s around the rocks. You need to fight algae with a bacteria like vibrant because the bubble algae is in the plumbing
And over flows and the crabs aren’t going to eat it there.

That's a neat product. Had not even heard of it before.

I had bubble algea growing in my 16g tank (since upgrade to a 34g) that was running a bit wild. Back in May I started dosing Vibrant 3mL on Wed and Sun for about 4 months. Slowly I saw the bubbles die off. At about the 3 month mark, after staring in the tank until my eyes hurt from it haha, I could not find a single bubble. I continued dosing for another month and now am about 5 months since I stopped dosing I am glad to report that there are still no bubbles anywhere to be found.

ctg0209

NJRC Member
I was going to try vibrant but I had already ordered razor when I found out about vibrant. I’m not sure what the actual difference is but I guess our results were similar. I also found Fishofhex sells a 3D printed bubble algae removal tool which has a siphon connected to the scraper. While doing one of my water changes I disconnected my sump, took all the equipment out and cleaned the sump, skimmer, heaters, and return pump to removed as many bubbles as I could.