• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble coral care

Hey guys, anyone have any tips for taking care of bubble coral?

about a year ago, i tried keeping a green bubble coral and it died on me. Back then i had 150 watt 10k halides. Now i have 250 watt 14.5k halides..

right now i have in my tank i guess it would be regular bubble coral..its white and it doesn't have the "grape like" polyps my old green bubble had. its doing well in my tank and has been for awhile. I would like to add a green bubble coral soon, but want to know if anyone has it, do they take care of it differently. Where should i place it? in the sand? up top close to the 250watt halide? My halide is like 8 inches or so off the water. i would rather put it in the sand on the bottom. Should i spot feed it? if so what should i feed it? mysis, rotifers? im guessing since it has sweeper tentacles i should feed at night? any advise would be appreciated , i really would like to get one and would like for it to do great.. i think they look really awesome especially large colonies.

I miss my bubble. :'(

297_19_10_07_9_47_07.JPG

It would be better on the sand, with room to expand. I fed mine whole krill and silversides. Lighting was VHO's and flow was low to moderate. You halides will be more than enough lighting so no need to move it too high.

I lost it to a potent stinging plate coral that invaded it's space.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a 3" green bubble that is on the bottom. I keep it under T5 lights with no problem. I rarely target feed it and it's doing well, just slow growing. I target feed it more I am sure it would grow easily.

blange3 said:
I miss my bubble. :'(

297_19_10_07_9_47_07.JPG

It would be better on the sand, with room to expand. I fed mine whole krill and silversides. Lighting was VHO's and flow was low to moderate. You halides will be more than enough lighting so no need to move it too high.

I lost it to a potent stinging plate coral that invaded it's space.

aw man that blows...that bubble looked insane...

Keep it at bottom and partly shaded and slowly light acclimate it (unless you know exactly the lighting it came from).

I have one too - seems to be doing well. They look great when they start feeding and their tentacles come out ... in these pix, they're just coming out. The color change isn't that drastic as shown, my camera was doing some weird things that night - but I still like these shots ...

lrg-844-bubblecoral.jpg

lrg-845-bubblecoral-nite.jpg