• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble tail picture

With talking about the size of the tank and that bacterial problems happen if tank is too small or not cleaned enough, I came across a picture of bubble tail I had to deal with. I'm posting so you can see what it looks like.swimming tail.jpgtail 2.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
At first I thought you were holding a bristle worm and you named him bubble tail! :eek2: Then after looking back at the first photo I saw the head of the pony. So does that make them sick?

At first I thought you were holding a bristle worm and you named him bubble tail! :eek2: Then after looking back at the first photo I saw the head of the pony. So does that make them sick?
Yes, it is a bacteria infection... it causes buoyancy problems and needs treatment in QT with Diomax which you need to get from vet or find place to send away for. When I had them, I sent away to England for it.

Do you know what causes the bacteria infection?
Seahorses are very dirty fish. Food goes right thru them. As soon as they eat, they poop so constantly keeping up on keeping the perimeters good. That is why it is recommended to have at least 30 gallons for 2 seahorses and additional gallons after that.
I believe Paulie has such good luck with them in smaller tank because he uses actual Ocean water.