• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bulkhead size for 2.75 diameter hole

hey guys,

I was wondering Bulkhead size for 2.75 diameter hole
got a custom tank and they drilled a 2.75 hole. which makes no sense to me since it's a 50gal tank.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd contact the manufacturer and see what they say. What size holes did you request when you ordered it?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The closest bulkhead is an 1 1/2 schedule 80 which needs a 2 5/8 inch hole.

Agree with contacting the manufacturer.

Also, where is the hole?

It's probably in the rear left or right in the overflow-

He had a custom tank made by Glass cages. The 1.5 is decently ideal for an overflow for a rimless shallow! Does the tank have 1 or two holes? The bigger one should be the drain-

thats an odd size for a hole. Is it tempered? Id call em and see whats up. If not tempered i have a 3" saw and a template you can come by and give it a whirl

i don't want to increase the size.  i read from a previous thread may cause problems.  i believe the bottom from prior posts of customers from glasscages say it's not tempered though.  i'll just make a call.

when it says requires a hole of 2 3/8.  i would think that's the max diameter it would be "ok" to seal properly.

it's a center rear overflow. if your looking at the overflow from the frontal view. 2.75" hole on left 2" hole on right. 2" should be 1"bulkhead but the 2.75 is like the grey area for a 1.5 or a 2" bulkhead. I measured it like 10x to make sure i wasn't delusional or just tired.

holes.jpg

there's what it looks like.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would definitely go with the 1 ½” schedule 80 bulkhead. It is for a 2 5/8 inch hole. That’s only 1/8 inch off of what was drilled. It is overkill, and I could never understand why people even considered schedule 80 for aquariums. But in your case I don’t think you have a choice. It also is 3 to 4 times more expensive than schedule 40…my guess is around $18 - $20 for one bulkhead.

On another note, I see from the picture you found a conduit bender…looks real nice! I like it.

redfishbluefish said:
It also is 3 to 4 times more expensive than schedule 40…my guess is around $18 - $20 for one bulkhead.

Try higher... We sell the spears brand one at $46. I have a cheap black poly one, but it actually looks bigger than the sch80 one. The 1 1/4 black poly one might work though.

If you go with a sch80 one, be very careful tightening it as they have very course threads and you can easily crack the glass if you over do it.

thanks for the info paul. i don't understand why they would drill to huge. I wouldn't think for the size tank would make sense for using a higher pressure bulkhead. i've never seen any problems or remarks of problems using schedule 40.

thanks. i actually cheated and bought a bent 90and attached it using couplers. it was half the price overall to buy those pieces than the bender which i'd only be using for this one purpose. no loaners at the hd i live by.

evoIX said:
2" should be 1"bulkhead

A 1" bulkhead is usually a 1 3/4" hole

Id call them and see what size bulkhead they drilled it for. Do they sell their own bulkheads? Maybe they run bigger or somethin?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's a chart of the difference in the hole size of a schedule 40 versus a schedule 80 bulkhead:

Bulkhead size Schedule 40 Schedule 80
--------½-------------1 1/8------------1 3/8
--------¾-------------1 7/16-----------1 5/8
--------1-------------1 3/4------------1 7/8
--------1 ½-----------2 3/8------------2 5/8
--------2-------------2 7/8------------3 1/4

My bud just told me glasscages sells bulkheads and they came with his tank when he got it. Wether theirs is some wierd size for their holes i dont know.
Maybe just do the 1" schd 80 and the 1 1/2" sch 80, i'd fill up the difference wit silicone good too when you put em on

Nice tank by the way, sweet look wit the rimless