• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Buy or make RO/DI water and Saltwater

Just as the title says. I"m thinking of getting the RO/DI Buddy off Amazon for making my own water. Id use for top off and water changes. I'm looking to use the Red Sea Coral Salt. Its a small tank, IM Nuvo 20 gallon. Was going to get the 175gal bucket. That's a initial fill of 20gal and 38 weeks of salt for weekly water change of 20%.

Buying water is 0.50/Fresh 1.00/Salt a gallon from ACC, Closest option for me. Its also 20-22min drive 1 way and another 1.50 in tolls on the GSP. Also if I'm away and my wife needs top off water she can make it! It will also keep me from needing to drive there every 2 weeks for 10 gallons.

What are your thoughts here? Do you guys mostly make water or buy?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am making my own water. It's cheaper making your own than buying from the stores

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
What salt do you use?
I've always liked just going with the instant ocean salt. I usually get a 200 gallon box which will last a long time.

Redsea is a good brand as is fritz, but they're too pricy for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
In the long run making water is cheaper. I use Instant Ocean salt for two reasons.
1) it's cheap
2) never had issues with it

After comparing all the needs looks like the standard Instant Ocean has almost the same makeup of the standard Red Sea. The Instant Ocean Coral one is actually higher cal than the Red Sea Coral. Being it all mixed well I'll get a box. Thanks

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
As other suggest. I would purchase a RO/DI unit. They are cheap enough in the long run.

I always IO/RC salt but have thought about changing just never pulled the trigger.

I am having luck with the Instant Ocean and the Reef Crystal's. I highly suggest an RO,DI unit. Moving water around anywhere kills the fun of the hobby.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Alway make your own water. You can’t trust your local fish store to replace ro di. Or mix it at the salinity you like. I have purchased from my local fish store and they mix it at 1.022
And I like to keep my tanks to 1.25-1.26.