• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Buying a new 90g

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My son wants a new 90g tank for freshwater. Since my go to place, Tropiquarium, is no longer around who has the best selection?

Thanks!

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I do miss tropiquarium, they had everything you needed, and they were only 5 minutes from my house when we lived in Neptune. Check out The Hidden Reef just over the border in PA, it's worth the trip they have very good prices. I go there for my salt which I only pay $58 for a 200 gallon bag of red sea salt while Bulk Reef sells it for $85.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Agree....Hidden Reef sells tanks at cost thinking that they'll make up the difference when you buy all the extras. I say that not having been there for over a year. I wasn't aware of their salt prices....I use to go to Sealevel, but their prices went up. My last major salt buy was from another PA LFS that I can't remember...but $35 per box of IO....those days are over!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you go to Hidden Reef, very close by is Fish Factory....small but I was more comfortable buying livestock from them. At the time Hidden Reef had flatworms throughout all their tanks. Also, I'm pretty sure my last salt buy was from Something Fishy in Northhampton, PA....north of Hidden Reef.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Agree....Hidden Reef sells tanks at cost thinking that they'll make up the difference when you buy all the extras. I say that not having been there for over a year. I wasn't aware of their salt prices....I use to go to Sealevel, but their prices went up. My last major salt buy was from another PA LFS that I can't remember...but $35 per box of IO....those days are over!
The usually have a pallet of IO on the floor, I can't remember the price but it wasn't much more than $35 if I remember right.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Petco has 60g on sale for $99 all the time. It's the same footprint, just shorter. Depending on what fish/plants to keep it might be a good option.

Great choice....not only is that price unbelievable, the one thing I didn't like about the "standard" 90 I had was the 24 inch depth....you can't reach the bottom without contortions and getting wet. Now if you're into big fish....aka an Oscar...I'd go with the 90.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Great choice....not only is that price unbelievable, the one thing I didn't like about the "standard" 90 I had was the 24 inch depth....you can't reach the bottom without contortions and getting wet. Now if you're into big fish....aka an Oscar...I'd go with the 90.
This is why was so glad to get rid of the 90g corner. I was 2 or 3 inches short of reaching the bottom; even standing on a step stool.