• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

calcium problem

Just tested my calcium and its 560. Is this going to hurt anything and how do i get it lower. Was using purple up but have stopped for the past week and a half. I have mushrooms cabage Xenia.they all seem to be doing fine.

none of those corals you listed use calcium in any quantity from the water. So you use of excess purple up with nothing drawing from that pool of calcium is why it got so high. It shouldn't hurt anything but I would check your ALK it probably is a bit low now.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't jump into SPS until you have a better handle on what causes Alk and Ca to go up and down. The swings will create havock on SPS.

i dun think it will hurt any of your softies... and through eventual waterchanges the calcium should prolly come down a bit....

remember with your softies there is no need to 2 part dose your system. just regular water change intervals should be fine. if that still makes your calcium high then either your reading is wrong or your salt is high and maybe you need to change the salt mix.

What kind of Salt are you using also.This is important cause all salts vary in Calcium and Alk.I used Oceanic once and my Calcium was way High over 500 like yours.Also don't use Purple up you spending way more money than needed to be honest with you.Also what kind of test kit are you using .Make sure its a good Kit date wise as well too.I have had false readings from some kits as well.I highly recommend you use a two part when dosing Calcium and Alk its the cheapest way to buy from Bulk Reef Supply.You have better control with the online Calculator which will tell you how much you need to dose to Raise Alk or Calcium Plus Magnesium.