• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

calcium too high and wont come down

Im looking for some input here. My calcium has been at 540 for 2 weeks straight and i havent dosed any calcium. I have continued to dose alkalinity and that is at a stable 8.6. I use reefcrystals salt. What can i do to lower my calcium and is it a problem that its up that high? No corals seem to have been affected yet. My test kits are salifert.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Couple questions:

1. What brand calcium were you dosing?
2. How much?
3. Whats your mag. level?
4. Are you putting any other additives in the tank? (purple up, etc...)
5. How old are your test kits?

Before you get to worried I would take a water sample to the LFS or a local reefer and let them test with their kits just to make sure it's not something with your salifert kit. Also I would mix up a batch of new salt water and test cal,mag,and alk on it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nate, I question your test kit. If you're around today, I'll stop by with my kit and we'll test your water. A calc level that high, I would almost expect "snow" from precipitation.

You can never have enough calcium in a reef tank! lol. I wouldn't be worried by that level of calcium. I measured oceanic consistently over 500 in the past. Test the calcium level in your reef crystals. it should be about 400-420, but as long as it's less than 540, you can continue to do water changes with the reef crystals to dilute the calcium to the level you want over time.