• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Calcium?

Is there a such thing as too much calcium? I'm reading 560 ml/l I tested 3 times with the same results I'm just makin sure this is in line

Normally (no expert) if you have calcium thats REAL high either your mag or alk are low. I would test these as well and see where you're at with those.

I used an api calcium test kit it read 560 or about.
I used an api kh test kit it read 8 i believe i will have to retest tonight as i know forgot.
I used salifert Mag test it was 1300

falconut

NJRC Member
Just stop dosing for calcium until it drops down. Keep dosing the other two. Don't use something like kalk until the calcium comes down, because it with add both.

Ok so instead of doing the 2 part I will only do the all part. I don't dose mag should I? Also whets a good level for calcium?

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just stop dosing for calcium until it drops down. Keep dosing the other two. Don't use something like kalk until the calcium comes down, because it with add both.

Could not say it any better!

falconut

NJRC Member
Ok so instead of doing the 2 part I will only do the all part. I don't dose mag should I? Also whets a good level for calcium?

The low to mid 400s is usually good. Your mg level seams good, so it might be getting replenished with water changes.

Usually, Calcium and Alk will SeeSaw one another until you reach the sweet spot as they call it.... what I mean is if your calcium is high then usually the alk will be on the low side and vise versa until you get everything balanced... so, if your calcium is indeed high, check your alk.... and if alk is low, when you add alk the calcium should start to come down. make sure your test kits are accurate(compair them with a fellow reefers test kits). And Magnesium will stablize the two.

What is your magnesium level? A lot of people only measure calcium and alk not realizing that low magnesium will cause calcium not to be absorbed into the coral. Its like the binding agent in a simple way to put it. Like insulin for sugar absorption in a diabetic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Alk is 18 or is that a typo? I would stop dosing all together at this point and do frequent water changes with a quality salt. I do 10% weekly and have to dose very little if at all.

I was checking the dates and 2 of the kits were out dated. Just went to the store and picked up new kits here at the readings I tested two times
cal 580 took 29 drops ttwice
mag over 1500 both times used all of what was in the ssyringe
alk 11 came back 11 both times

You did not mention salinity...if you are keeping your tank at 35ppt (1.0264)then your calc and alk will be high, especially with reef crystals.

I'll second Kschweer's recommendation to stop dosing all together and stick to water changes. It's very easy to screw up your water chemistry by dosing. the swings in water quality will do more damage than just having a slightly low "this" or slightly high "that". But I would recommend 20% until you get things back in line, then back off to 10%.