• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can any one identify this coral for me

thumb_114_02_09_07_9_57_01.JPG

I have this piece for over a year. I can not find any information or pictures. Any help on this would be very helpful.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you have a non-thumb piece of it? It is a little hard to tell by the size of the photo.

My absolute guess based on the flouresence is a hydnophora, but I'd definitely need a bigger picture to be sure.

Bigger picture would definitely be of help along with type of lights turned on when you took the picture. If the picture is a little off from the true color let us know. For example a flash can wash out the colors and normally isn't a good idea to use but sometimes needed.

Carlo

My guess would also be Montipora family, maybe Montipora floweri, Montipora millepora, or Montipora aequituberculata, to name a few possibilities (assuming that the colony is encrusting).

That picture was taken under actinic bulbs,I will get a picture under MH and post later, but under actinic it does look like the pictures. it does show signs of crusting in spots. I'm not sure on where to place it in the tank. Brifly the tank is 125 gal. with 3 175 M/H( with bulbs mounted front to back not sideways) and VHO actinics with alot of live rock.

Is it possible to get a sharper photo? The resolution isn't very clear, and the color seems 'off.' I can't see enough corallite detail to tell what this is.

cj