• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can anyone Help ID this?

This came on the rock (as a hitchhiker) you see with the zoos. It has grown to about 3 or 4 times it's size in about 2-3 months.

I guess it is some type of polyp maybe? It is green with small red or pink tips. I am still a newbee and haven't been able to identify this. (It almost looks like some type of anemone to me, but I can't imagine that hitchhiking.)

I will attach 2 pictures (hopefully, first time trying). Also, I appologize for the pic quality. It is the best I can do with the equipment I have.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. (hopefully these pics work)
P1010709.jpg

P1010710.jpg

Yep its an anemone , very cute alone but it wont be alone for long . :eek: They can and will spread out of control so you should eliminate it asap .

Just curious... So why do rock or flower anemones spread so quick and BTA's don't?

Also, do they spread slower if you have a very powerful skimmer? say a skimmer rated for a 200g tank but you have a 47?

Aptasia X Works wonders on that stuff, Mojano also. Aquatic Obsessions has it in Woodbridge if your close to there

Researching what people have said, I don't think it is an Aptasia anemone (although i do have a couple of those) and need to get rid of them (didn't even now until this). This looks a little different than most rock/flower anemone pics I saw on the interent. Also, aptasia needs to be eradicated, but it looks like rock/flower don't. (Is that correct?)

Thanks for all the help.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They look like Tulip Anemones to me. I'll have to find Momof6's thread about them. She had them and didn't get rid of them right away and they completely took over her tank, killing everything they touched.

Here is the main thread. This post has a pretty good pic of them.

If you can tank the rock out of the water you can use gel super glue. I used it once on a big aptasia and it worked well. Just do not pull them out or they supposely spread worse. That said, I may be a special case, but I have had aptasia in my tank now for ~6 months and I have not seen any spreading.

It looks like John hit the nail on the head. Momof6's thread that you referenced looks identicle. I guess I will be taking it out. Thanks for the help. I also have a few "regular" aptasia also (as I learned from everyones help here).

So I guess I have some work to do. It's too bad because the Tulip Anemone is very pretty.