• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I just got this, and I was trying to figure out just exactly what it was. I know acropora, but beyond that, I can't for the life of me figure out which one.

The pics are kinda rough. This was taken about 20 minutes after it was in my tank. It seems to be doing well. It's kind of a lavender color with green polyps.

newcoral1.jpg

newcoral2.jpg

ILCFisherman said:
It is called Acropora Horridia.

Thanks Ed! LOL! Glad to see you venturing into the other forums! Somehow, I couldn't for the life of me remember what the heck it was called once I got it home! :)

malulu

NJRC Member
- wait 3 months
- take a new picture
- compare picture side by side with this one
- if still look the same, then you know it is "Pastic Coral" :eek:
- if the new one grown, please let me know, i would like to buy a frag from you if you don't mind. ;D

thx

LOL! Definitely not plastic coral, that's for sure.

As for frag, how would I frag it, just snap off a piece?

I moved it lower in the tank because in the new 90, up high, the tips started to bleach a bit. Seems to be ok, but it is darker than it was before. I'll see if I can get a new picture of it later.

malulu

NJRC Member
if can snap it off... but, not a prefered method...

use something like this: (get the cheapest one would work fine)
080596011468_3.jpg

Dremel - MultiPro T Rotary Tool Kit
Model 300-1/41H
Price: $59.97/ea

they normally comes with 1 or 2 pieces of this Cut-off Wheel, or you can buy more if needed:
165503_3.jpg

Dremel - 20 Pk Cut-off Wheel Dispenser
Model 426b
Price: $19.99/ea

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use a diamond wheel attachment on the dremel, but for SPS if the branches are reasonably thin I'll use bone cutters to frag it. Just snap off a branch. Anything like a table or an efflo then I'd use the dremel.

Branches are definitely thin. I am considering fragging it since it is so large. I guess I just have the jitters about it surviving if I screw up.

Can you suggest what to mount the frags to?

malulu

NJRC Member
- you can use small liverock
- drill a hole in it
- apply some Gel-Glue to the hole
- then stick the frag in it
- hold for few second until it stay
- put it back in the water

use something simular to these, i just did a quick search, they call this FRAG PLUG, some other one call them reef-plug, you should shop around to see where can get them cheap...
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thefilterguys.biz/images/GOOCHYPLUGS.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.thefilterguys.biz/frag_supplies.htm&h=703&w=1357&sz=94&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=pAg_sH1izzkq4M:&tbnh=78&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dreef%2Bplug%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Ok, I know, alot of questions..

How long can this thing be reasonably out of the water to frag?

How many frags would you recomend taking at one time? Is this something that should be done one piece at a time over a length of time?

malulu

NJRC Member
let me sum it up with more details:

- you can use small liverock, or reef-plug/frag-plug
- drill a hole in it (some reef-plug comes with hole already)
- cut the frags put them aside in a container with the same tank water
- use paper tower to dry the serface of the rock/plug
- apply some Gel-Glue to the hole
- use paper tower to dry the base of the frag (should take few seconds)
- then stick the frag in it
- hold for few seconds until it stay (may be 5 to 10 or more, depends on which type of glue you use)
- put it back in the water

don't know and never try to see how long a flag can be out of the water... ;) i would guess for 1 min or so should be fine... but for steps like these, it should take less than 30 seconds or so... if screw up, put the frag back in the water, and redo the steps again...

you can frag many piece without problem, just don't cut them to too smaller frag... (altought i see frag as small and little as 1/6 inch, and still grow afterward, but really not recommended... unless an emergency situation like screw up, the frag are die-ing or something and can only have that small piece to save to kept alive...etc.)

C

concept3

Hey matt, I usually have a bowl of water ready on the side when I frag a large piece or frag a few pieces off a large colony. I snap branches off into the bowl of water and then leave them there until ready to mount. I use frag plugs as they are so much easier, otherwise live rock rubble is fine.

I dab a small piece of Cyanoacrylate gel onto the surface of all the plugs/LR (about 10-12 at the most) and I take each frag out of the water, dry the bottom where the glue needs to be attached to, and then mount. Sometimes I leave them out of the water anywhere between 1-5 minutes, and then place them back in the bowl to set. After 10 minutes, they go back in the tank.

Never really had any real problems with die off, but make sure the coral is healthy to begin with.

Oh yeah, toss the bowl of water, son't dump it back in the tank.

HTH

Thanks everybody, good tips. Once I get brave enough, I'll let you know how it works out. :)

I have the glue (bought from the group buy in anticipation) and just have to get some frag plugs or something. I've seen several options on the net.

I'll try to get some pics later on and let you guys tell me what you think. Looks healthy enough to me, but what do I know! LOL! ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Boston Aqua Farms plugs are, IMHO, among the best on the market. I believe that PA sells them, among other options.

Cool, I'll check them out over there. Been happy with Premium Aquatics prices and service so far.

Just got some frags from Ham tonight (Thanks Ham!), so I just mounted those on small pieces of rock rubble out of my sump. But I think I want to check into the frag mounts so I don't deplete my rock rubble! LOL! I have a feeling there will be many more frags to come!

Oh, and I see just how easy it is to frag these. I accidentally fragged one of the larger frags that Ham sold me tonight, so there are 3 tiny pieces on a piece of live rock. And 3 becomes 6! ;D

malulu

NJRC Member
Merv,
like your idea to keep them on the side (in water) first, then put it back it... i will do that next time.

mfisher2112,
see, it is easy! it is something once you know how, no big deal...
if you have time, get pictures of the progress, we should save the link some where, so other new comer can follow...
;D

malulu

NJRC Member
note:

i still think the glue gel from the group buy are not thick enough...
may be next time we can get something thicker?

some will say this is crazy but i learned from a friend how to acclimate SPS.
after treating for red bugs & acro eating flat worms i leave the SPS on the
counter for about 10 minutes then put it in the tank, it will slime up & smell
but this is the coating it uses to protect it self , I'm not saying u should try
this everyone does their own thing I'm just answering Ur question.
5 to 10 minutes 4 SPS