• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can I add Marco rock to an established tank?

I am changing tanks in a week or so and during the move I wanted to take out a couple of pieces of rock that I do not like and switch them with better shaped rocks. Since the reef tank has been setup for a long time and I am just supplementing rock, I was thinking of just adding dry rock. Can this be done or is there any "dry" die off in the Marco rock? Does this seem like a good idea or does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ken

You are taking a chance. The Marco Rock has to cure just like LR and they recommend on the site (marcorock.com) to cure the rock first.

chase33 said:
You are taking a chance. The Marco Rock has to cure just like LR and they recommend on the site (marcorock.com) to cure the rock first.

I agree with chase .. Marco rock needs to be cured or any rock . I made that mistake long time that I added 2 dead base flat rock on my 180 thinking that it will be ok but then after a week I see signs od stn on my sps as my parameters got unstable..

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
It depends on the amount of dry marco rock you are putting in. My advice would be NOT to do it. Take a look at my Tank Build Thread ----- "Tale of the tank - 215 gallon in-wall" and you will see what comes out of the rock.

I figured the rock was inert. Guess not. i was looking to put about 10-20 lbs of the rock in with the 70 or so ponds that I have now. Would it be a better idea then to find the rock I need from someone that is selling cured rock from their system that they are looking to sell?
Ken

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
+1 for curing outside of your system first.

Great idea to upgrade to Marco Rock, though. That stuff is by far the best looking rock I've ever seen.

When I was curing 40 lbs of marco rock I started with a clean container, 3 months later I had a 1" accumulation of detritus in the bottom of the container. It my house smelled like {fill in the blank}. I vote for Cycling the rock first, outside or away from your main living space.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the smell. You don't want to do this in the house unless you want your family to kick you out.